The future of Icrontic

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Community
I've gathered about 20 of you here. The reason I made this forum for you is because you've been here a while, you've visited recently, and, if you're on Short-Media at all, your main presence is here. As far as I can tell... you're what remains of the core community here.

Phil (Aranyic) has been gracious enough to turn over its stewardship to Brian (primesuspect) and I. He has put a lot of work into this place since long before I was a member, and most recently he stepped up and kept the domains safe and the site online, and for that we are sincerely thankful. We were both here long before the crash of '03 and want to do right by this place. :) We want it to be a force on the web once again.

The time long ago was ripe to make a decision about Icrontic and its fate. I think everyone is on the same page: it cannot really survive, let alone thrive, in its current state.

Brian and I have decided that the best way to move both Icrontic and our own site (Short-Media) forward, without alienating or neglecting either community, is to merge Icrontic and Short-Media under the Icrontic banner. By merge, I mean literally combine the forums and, lacking an IC front page, adopt an upcoming version of the Short-Media front page. This would mean everyone in both communities would retain their post count / history. I have to research it more, but I believe accounts would be merged by confirmed e-mail address, so people with accounts on both sites would enjoy the history of both combined.

We haven't figured out what this means for the Folding@Home teams - how to proceed there is up to the teams to decide.

I'm really hoping the rest of you here are up for this, because I think your presence will be very valuable as we move forward. I'm going to work hard to minimize any ruffled feathers or issues this might cause, so I hope it will be a very smooth transition over the next month. Our communities both sprang from the same place, and I'm looking forward to us sharing the same future.

Honestly.... I'm really excited. :cool:

Comments

• LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited April 2007
    i think it's fantastic!!

anything i can do, let me know.

LIN
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2007
    Honestly.... I'm really excited. :cool:

:cheers: That's all I have to say now.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like a good plan to me.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2007
    What can I say always felt more at home here then SM. Looks like a best of both worlds scenario is in the works.
  • edited April 2007
    I think its a good idea. I think two folding teams might bring on some competition, and thats always a good thing :) as long as its healthy competition.
    edited April 2007
    Any idea of when this is going to be happening?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I don't have a definite date, but I'd estimate in 3-4 weeks. I will give notice in advance. :)
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    :banana: :clap: :rock: :thumbs1:
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited May 2007
    I love it. I miss the good old days of Paul's FAQ and the ugly purple design (well, maybe I don't miss the design, but I miss the greatness of Icrontic.)
    edited May 2007
    OK, we have a tentative schedule: May 25th for the announcement, June 1 for the migration. I expect we'll physically move the site this weekend in preparation.

KK - we're on the same page. I'm working diligently on a design that will pay homage to the old IC, but look modern and professional. :)
    edited May 2007
    OK, we have a tentative schedule: May 25th for the announcement, June 1 for the migration. I expect we'll physically move the site this weekend in preparation.

KK - we're on the same page. I'm working diligently on a design that will pay homage to the old IC, but look modern and professional. :)

Sweetness:cool:
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited May 2007
    cheers! :)

LIN
    edited May 2007
    Announcement has been moved up 24 hours to May 24 - a little research (go go WayBack Machine) revealed that that was the actual day of the Fall of Icrontic in 2003. I like symbolism ;) Plus... better to announce on a Thursday than a Friday. I've made a video for the occasion :)
    edited May 2007
    so I see the domain name has flipped around.
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, we successfully moved the site to Short-Media's server (appropriately named 'mortin') yesterday. Site should be running significantly faster.
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, we successfully moved the site to Short-Media's server (appropriately named 'mortin') yesterday. Site should be running significantly faster.

Oh yea baby, it is defiantly faster!!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2007
    I think it's actually running slower...But then again, I do have Timewarner, and they have been giving me the proverbial bottom-of-the-bucket bandwidth and DNS servers... Maybe god hates me..
    edited May 2007
    I think it's actually running slower...But then again, I do have Timewarner, and they have been giving me the proverbial bottom-of-the-bucket bandwidth and DNS servers... Maybe god hates me..
    Yeah, trust me, the hardware specs alone make it impossible that it's running slower. :)

If anyone hasn't seen on SM, anyone's invited to Brian's house (Warren, MI) for a Memorial Day Weekend BBQ on that Saturday afternoon (May 26). Let me know if anyone needs directions. :)
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited May 2007
    woah, I didnt even see this thread :cool:

I have a shortcut that takes me right to offtopic so I never see this stuff :D

awesome!
    edited May 2007
    LiLbRo wrote: »
    woah, I didnt even see this thread :cool:

I have a shortcut that takes me right to offtopic so I never see this stuff :D

awesome!

Loose that link young man!!!!!!:rant:
    edited May 2007
    I'm gettin excited cuz were almost there!!!! :banana:
    edited May 2007
    I've been getting exponentially more excited day by day :D

LiLbro - yes, ditch that link :p Especially after the merge, there will be a lot more to digest :)
    edited May 2007
    SO, it is going to get announced tonight?!! yes?!!
    edited May 2007
    Midnight :cool:
    edited May 2007
    OH man I gotta get up at 5:00AM, its gonna kill me!!
    GK,nice avatar change at SM.;)
    edited May 2007
    heh, thanks