OLd Compaq BIOS Update link wanted

izzugotomizzugotom Member
edited May 2007 in Hardware
:rant: I know this is old stuff, but someone probably replaced the processor, now the BIOS says it needs a patch for the processor, probably needing a BIOS update.

The model number is:
Compaq Deskpro EP Series.....EP/P500/6B/9/64 - SA.

Can anybody provide me with a link and procedure to get this BIOS updated to talk to processor=Pentium (R) III Processor 600E MHZ 600/133.

Thanks

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2007
    Wow that is a....Vintage...computer. If you can dump your bios, send it to me and I might be able to do something. Compaq doesn't issue replacement bioses, or updates to my knowledge. And the computer model number is about as useful as mammary glands on a bull. You should get CPUZ and post who made your board. That'll help out alot more anyway.

EDIT:// Also, If the original processor wasn't a 133mhzFSB, and your new one is, you may not be able to use it due to the FSB not high enough for the processor. But may one venture the question of WHY you're using that hunk of age?
  • izzugotomizzugotom Member
    edited May 2007
    A friend got the PC for his children to play, hell know which games, I think "Solitare" etc.

It came dead, so I sorted that-Reseated the memory.

How do I excecute CPUZ if the MB cannot boot past this CPU PATCH REQUIRED error message at least up to a stiffy drive...

And booting up to this point, how do I dump the BIOS ?
    edited May 2007
    So you don't have the original processor that went in there. You're JWF'd dude, unless you can decern who made the board.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2007
    Your boned. Even if you have a bios patch you need the computer to get up and running to install the patch.
    edited May 2007
    Well not entirely, He can do a swap flash if he has a motherboard with the same BIOS Pinout (16x2 or 8x4) and if he's willing to risk a working system for it. I've done it successfully for a friend recently. It's a harrowing endeavor, but it's 100% doable.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2007
    Well not entirely, He can do a swap flash if he has a motherboard with the same BIOS Pinout (16x2 or 8x4) and if he's willing to risk a working system for it. I've done it successfully for a friend recently. It's a harrowing endeavor, but it's 100% doable.

Think about what your saying - old p3 compaq - I'd say the odds of him having another one with a compatible bios pretty damn slim.
    edited May 2007
    I am thinking about what I'm saying dude. He doesn't need a compatible BIOS, he just needs to have a board that has the same pinout for the bios he wants to flash. It's not exactly hard to come by, since the machine's old I bet it's got the 16x2 layout, so all he needs is another working computer from abouts that time, tell the thing to shadow bios to memory, and pull out the original bios while the system's hot, use a raw flasher to write the received bios onto the target chip, put the target chip back into the original computer, and put the bios from the flasher machine back in, then restart it. Risky yes, since you have to pull the bios out whole thing at a time, no pins can be stuck back while you lift, because that kills the host board..