Memory failing Block move 64KB

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Well, I got a bluescreen lastnight and it didn't make the normal entry into the system log, and didn't generate a report. Well, I've had enough dead components to know that that usually happens when a memory device goes bad, and I mean real bad. Well I burned Memtest86 on a cd, started everything up and it was doing its' thing until it got to the 225-940MB range during test 5, Moving blocks, 64KB. the first time, it failed 228 and 345. Well I pulled out my first stick, and moved the subject stick into the second slot (I have four, I always spread my memory out to the furthest points to prevent heat stacking. Well, I retest twice, and the address range gets longer. It went from two, to 259 failed addresses in three tests.

I wouldn't be posting right now if I didn't think something was up. I know memory problems start small then grow quickly, but in the span of 20 minutes? Never seen it happen that fast, since the fastest I've seen is 36 hours. Well, there's also this. Memtest86 says my DDR2 800 is DDR400 and has the latencies of 4-0-11, and one stick is dual channel. Does anyone know any other tests that can do some deep tests and won't cost me anything since I'm broke right now?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2007
    There are other tests around, but I haven't found any that are as reliable as memtest and work without relying on the OS.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    As far as I know memtest86 is it. It's free and doesn't lie.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    No lie. Memory dead.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2007
    Figures. Oh well, just a trip back to newegg, and I'll get fresh.