Voice comms

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Community
Pretty good to start that early cause it would be a big hassle if people start trying to set it up in the middle of the lan party. Like what program, program and server settings. So what proggy should be used?

IMHO Ventrilo would be a good once since it's much easier to set up (atleast for me), free, and the quality is really good. You cna create rooms/sides/teams too. If anyone wants to try it... Link

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    We'll like...All be within 30 feet of one another...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    It would be good for games like Battlefield 1942.
    edited November 2003
    Where anyone would hear what we're saying anyways? ;D
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say

Exactly. Why on earth do we need voice comm when we're practically sitting next to our team-mates? :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    :grumble:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Black Hawk wants to whisper sweet nothings into his teammates ears.;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    It's not quite like that.... The layout is such that people will be in seperate areas and seperate rooms.. Voice comms might not be such a bad idea.
    edited November 2003
    mmonnin had this to say
    Black Hawk wants to whisper sweet nothings into his teammates ears.;)
    :ninja:

For people that go to alot of lan parties to play tactical games and stuff, voice comms are very usefull. I guess you guys just suck. :crazy:
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say

Yeah...I thought this was the point of a LAN party ????
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Well I dont know how big the office is but 42 people on computers is a lot of area. Well think of it like 3 people per 6 chair table. Thats ohhh say 14 of those tables.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    It's not quite like that.... The layout is such that people will be in seperate areas and seperate rooms.. Voice comms might not be such a bad idea.

Agreed. I'll dl and setup whatever is needed if thats what we want. Although it kind of ruins me for buying those Zalmans:shakehead
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say
    Where anyone would hear what we're saying anyways? ;D

Usually, I've found that in games where most players are experienced, all that gets said are enemy positions. Everyone generally knows what to do beyond that.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I've never used any program like Roger Wilco.... but I've played against a few players that used it and THEY KICK MY BUTT.... Much easier to coordinate stratagy.

I would have to vote for the free program, since I do not LAN often.
    edited November 2003
    I guess I'll make a small guide or something later on for Ventrilo cause it's a program I know how to set up.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I'm a ventrilo fan :) best way I heard to describe the other two:

"It's like using your power ranger walkie talkies at 2 miles".
  • edited November 2003
    I guess if everyone else uses it (a voice comm program), I'll use one too.

I'll use whatever's free.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2003
    TheSmJ had this to say
    I guess if everyone else uses it (a voice comm program), I'll use one too.

I'll use whatever's free.

ditto
    edited November 2003
    I'll...I'll strap a headphone to my head with a rubber band because my sennheisers don't need no microphone.

Or I'll just yell at my teammates from across the room. Much better.
  • edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say
    I'll...I'll strap a headphone to my head with a rubber band because my sennheisers don't need no microphone.

Or I'll just yell at my teammates from across the room. Much better.

If you did that, then your teammates would have to repeat everything to you, cause the rest would be using this software thingy.

Hell, I dont even like CS...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Hmm... if that turns out to be the concensus I guess I'll have to get a microphone. :grumble: