Anyone have the 2900XT?

zero-counterzero-counter Linux LubberSan Antonio Member
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I am curious to hear your responses.

I am waiting on the 1GB GDDR4 version to come out and see if they have corrected the issues that the current beast has (heat, power, low scores, UVD support).

I would only purchase this card if it dips in price to around $325... :D

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I hate to say it but GDDR4 will not make this POS card any faster... I just built a system for a guy who demanded this card; I of course wondering how it ran put it through some paces before shipping it off. And well for the cash it is slower than Nvidia's offerings, and with all the hype leading up to it, I was very disappointed.

If you’re looking for a speed demon buy a Nvidia card, if you’re looking for something other Nvidia well here is your choice :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    GDDR4 won't save it, sorry. :\
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited June 2007
    I am aware of how great Nvidia's offerings are, and understand the limitation imposed upon the 90nm chip to mate with the GDDR4, but if the price is lower than that of the current 2900XT, hardware shading is implemented, and the card's power heat issues are somehow worked out, then I want to see how the story plays out. I sometimes tend to play "support the little guy", and am not an early adopter of tech until it is proven, albeit the 8 series has been around for some time, I always give 1 to 1.5 years before purchasing their high end offerings. I am just sorting bang-for-buck value amongst these choices. Just looking for everyone's opinions as I sit on the fence.
    edited June 2007
    All they're doing is releasing the card with GDDR4. They're not doing a die-shrink, they're not changing anything else. ATI is on record as saying this. The Geforce 8800GTS will still be faster.

I hate to be blunt, but you're "supporting the little guy" to a fault.

If anything, the 2900 is one of the buggier/poor GPUs since the 57xx series.
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    All they're doing is releasing the card with GDDR4. They're not doing a die-shrink, they're not changing anything else. ATI is on record as saying this. The Geforce 8800GTS will still be faster.

I hate to be blunt, but you're "supporting the little guy" to a fault.

If anything, the 2900 is one of the buggier/poor GPUs since the 57xx series.
    ATI has also been on record for release dates, feature sets, etc. that were either delayed or dropped, so that means nothing. They realize the situation they are in from a monetary standpoint, and will do what they can to improve their favorability among their customer base.

Look, I am no newbie to this entire situation and have been there at least twice. I understand what is going on, and there will more than likely be a die shrink decrease in the near future for the 2900XT part. We have yet to see what exactly is going to happen, and speculation based on some misinformation does not bode well.

Maybe we are misunderstanding what I posted, as I stated "if", a hypothetical "if". I never stated that they would definitely change anything else on their update to the 2900XT, just wishful thinking other than the die shrink and memory increase (type as well). I also stated that I seldomely (meaning sometimes) support the little guy, or underdog in this case. To what fault are you speaking of? I mean, are you an insider and have information that everyone is not privy to? No offense, but I feel that you should be less blunt and more optimistic about situations. I have been in enough competitions first hand to see things turn around when someone least expects it, which I one of the reasons I take precautious "wait and see" approache to purchasing big ticket items.

So all in all, please understand that I am not a sided fanboy but only to the almighty dollar, and have only used Nvidia for the last 6 years due to favorability amongst many game developers (seeing as how I am in the mainstream gaming arena). I appreciate your opinions however, and hope to continue discussing this as I am quickly losing interest in my current duties...:o
    edited June 2007
    The chip you really want is the one after the 2900 series... as AMD has really already moved on...

Also to note Nvidia already has the card to trump the 2900/3xxx & no I am not talking about the 8800 ULTRA or 8800 GS. If AMD takes the time to remake the 2900 "which it wont" the card is limited on other factors outside of a die shrink and or memory speed. They will remake and title it the X3xxx series next year.
    edited June 2007
    The chip you really want is the one after the 2900 series... as AMD has really already moved on...
    I disagree...what I want is a card priced within the range of the 8800GTS and the 8800GTX, has that midrange performance, and has great driver support.
    Also to note Nvidia already has the card to trump the 2900. 7 no i am not talking about the 8800 ULTRA or 8800 GS. If AMD takes the time to remake the 2900 "which it wont" the card is limited on other factors outside of a die shrink and or memory speed..X3xxx series.
    The 2900XTX has yet to debut. Yes, there are other parts coming about, but then Nvidia has others to let go as well. This is the inevitable Moore's law factor playing in. Back on current topic, the architecture of the card is pretty advanced, with a higher memory interface and the 512-bit ring bus, it seems that the card is chock full of features, with no drivers as of yet implemented to showoff their complete and total intended features to their fullest extent.

Keep in mind, the last time I owned an ATI card was from the old Rage IIC days...so this looks very interesting. Honestly, if Nvidia would just drop the insane pricing scheme, everything would be much easier, and I would be more inclined to end this indecisiveness.

I
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    ... the architecture of the card is pretty advanced, with a higher memory interface and the 512-bit ring bus, it seems that the card is chock full of features, with no drivers as of yet implemented to showoff their complete and total intended features to their fullest extent ....

There are those who would agree.
    edited June 2007
    No I can tell you first hand Nvidia already has a card that trumps its current 8800Ultra...

Also the 2900 has tons of sweet architecture that will most likely not see light of day and the same is true for Nvidia... I am just stating this now, so I can fall back on the "I told you so" type of statement... Remember I am the graphic Guru for a reason :)
    edited June 2007
    No I can tell you first hand Nvidia already has a card that trumps its current 8800Ultra...

Also the 2900 has tons of sweet architecture that will most likely not see light of day and the same is true for Nvidia... I am just stating this now, so I can fall back on the "I told you so" type of statement... Remember I am the graphic Guru for a reason :)

What, the G92 65nm >>55nm processes using...512 bit memory interface with GDDR4 that can teraflop?
    ... Remember I am the graphic Guru for a reason :)
    I thought that was a self-proclamation? :confused:
    edited June 2007
    Nope. He was picked by site administrators for the role. :) He does his job well, even though he's a complete lug. ;D
    edited June 2007
    What, the G92 65nm >>55nm processes using...512 bit memory interface with GDDR4 that can teraflop?

Better :)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2007
    Better :)

Very curious to see what you are speaking about Sledge :cool: