Power supply blown up

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hi there everyone!

Having played games all morning, I went through to get some lunch leaving my computer on. When I returned, the box was off and would not go on. I tried a variety of kettle plugs with the same result - no lights on on the mobo.

I plugged the PSU into an older, but still working mobo I had lying about, no lights on. So, it would appear my PSU's time is up!

So..I have only had it for about a year, and I am running an Athlon 64 3400+, 1gig of ram and an ATI 512MB X1900XT (PCI Express). Do you think that this power hungry system caused my 460W PSU to die so early?

I'm off to get a new one today from my local maplin (maplin.co.uk) so any suggestions for a new PSU would be great.

Sorry for the verbose post. Thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like your PSU died from QC-related issues, if the PSU was inexpensive. Or just age if it was older.

I strongly suggest staying with these brands: FSP, OCZ, Corsair, Thermaltake, Enermax, HiPer.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    I wouldn't recommend anything from maplin, they are vastly overpriced and all the PSU's I've seen in one have been generic brown box Jobbies weighing in at 4 ounces or less. ( I do a grunt test on PSUs, if you don't grunt when you pick up the box don't buy it):wink:
    All the brands suggested by Thrax are solid performers, I would also recommend Tagan as quality units.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    Pc power and cooling also makes some very high quality units (But there quite expensive).

Antec also has great power supplys not to mention there RMA is better then enermax's.