Counter Strike Source + x1900xt

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hi there guys,

I play CS:S matches and so upgraded my GFX card to an x1900xt to get good fps in the game.

I use Vista, but have been having a problem whereby I can set every graphical setting to the absolute minimum in the game, i.e. res at 720 x 480 ish, Low shader detail, no AA/AF etc, or every setting to the max (1440x900, High detail, 6x AA, 16x AF) and I always get the same fps - about 50ish.

V-Sync is off in both tests, fps_max is set to 999 - anyone got any idead how this could be the case?

Vista Business, Athlon64 3400+, 512MB PCI-E x1900xt, 1Gig

Any thought much appreciated, obviously the game is playable at 50fps but I would expect 120ish at medium - high detail settings.

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I will assume you installed the newest ATi drivers from their website? Sorry if this question shoots too low. :\
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    have you tried running the newest DirectX 9c updates?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    What about when you play other HL2 games such as HL2DM or Garrys Mod? Does your frame rate suffer just as much?
  • edited June 2007
    Many thanks for your replies. In answer, I have installed all the latest drivers. Catalyst 7.5 doesn't work for me - my native res of 1440x900 simply shows "Input out of range" on my monitor, but I am using 7.4.

I haven't actually tried any other source games, although I could download HL2 DM or something to give it a bash! I have it in my steam package for free.

With regards to the DX9c files for Vista - I recall previously installing the February files, however I see theres new April ones, I will give them a bash now and get back to you asa I've tried them. Keep firing ideas at me, thanks for your responses!
    edited June 2007
    Vista uses DirectX 10. Don't install DX9!
  • edited June 2007
    There is a DX9 package for Vista, dont worry :)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    si_edgey wrote:
    Hi there guys,

I play CS:S matches and so upgraded my GFX card to an x1900xt to get good fps in the game.

I use Vista, but have been having a problem whereby I can set every graphical setting to the absolute minimum in the game, i.e. res at 720 x 480 ish, Low shader detail, no AA/AF etc, or every setting to the max (1440x900, High detail, 6x AA, 16x AF) and I always get the same fps - about 50ish.

V-Sync is off in both tests, fps_max is set to 999 - anyone got any idead how this could be the case?

Vista Business, Athlon64 3400+, 512MB PCI-E x1900xt, 1Gig

Any thought much appreciated, obviously the game is playable at 50fps but I would expect 120ish at medium - high detail settings.

Thanks!

Install windows 2000,windows XP or Windows Xp X64.

Problem solved and everything runs better.
  • edited June 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    Install windows 2000,windows XP or Windows Xp X64.

Problem solved and everything runs better.

Useful as a chocolate teapot. ;)

I feel I have tried everything but cannot fix this problem - I am just about to play through HL2 and I am hoping that it will not have the same problem. Thanks for your help guys!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    GrayFox is right. Vista is not ready for games yet, and even if you had 16GB of memory, vista would find a way to squander it, and your precious video card memory too. I should know, I tried it. Almost none of my games played, and the two that did play, played like crap. Vista is starting to smell alot like Millennium edition.
  • edited June 2007
    vista is ready for games if you got and nvidia dx10 card :D

i had and ati x1900gt used it on vista and had loads of driver issues so went back to xp till i got the 8800
    edited June 2007
    No it isn't.
    edited July 2007
    sacred wrote:
    vista is ready for games if you got and nvidia dx10 card :D

i had and ati x1900gt used it on vista and had loads of driver issues so went back to xp till i got the 8800

No offense but your joking.

I will admit I haven't used vista for a few while on my personal machine (Its just Debian right now) but ati's drivers were way way way more stable and faster on vista last time I checked.(Random bsod's with the nvidia driver when playing ut2004, Steam games seemed fine tho).. The ati drivers had issues with nothing.
    (Other then performance it felt much slower then on xp.. but still much faster then the nvidia) (However I will admit the ati is a faster card to begin with
    )
    In my opinion vista will never be ready with games, microsoft is trying to turn your pc into a word-processor , web-browser and xbox live.

No offense but if I wanted a xbox I would buy a xbox.

Also DirectAudio doesn't even support hardware acceleration in vista. (Making your expensive sound card a useless paperweight unless the game supports open AL)

Also right now im using an Asus nvidia 7900GS TOP its much faster then my ATI X1950 pro in linux but blows goat compared to it in windows Vista . However its only slightly slower in XP X64, in vista its night and day the ATI is much faster and is more stable.

Im hoping ati gets there act together and gets there source code out for there drivers. (And im hoping they go with GPL 2/3 so theres no issues with licensing.)

For Windows Im sticking with XP X64 pro, It has all the useful features of vista (Excluding preemptive caching) but with none of the bloat.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited July 2007
    Vista requires a wait and see approach. The guinea pigs that are using it everyday are my heroes, so that when I upgrade a couple of years from now, everything should be slightly better. :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    XP had a similar response. Now it's pretty much mainstream. Granted, no Windows version can top the speed and stability of 2000 at this point, but I think Vista will catch on. I do most my gaming on Vista, and I've had minimal issues. Though my games don't tend to run as well as in XP, I find they're within a still-tolerable range.
    edited July 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:
    XP had a similar response. Now it's pretty much mainstream. Granted,
    I for one was a strong supporter of it for anyone who wasn't running dos games. And had mainstream hardware.

Xp brought the stability of windows 2000 to the customer's.
    Cyclonite wrote:
    no Windows version can top the speed and stability of 2000
    Windows XP Profesional X64 has been faster, more stable and more tweak able in my experience then any other version of windows however I would take windows 2000 pro over windows xp home or pro any day.
    Cyclonite wrote:
    at this point, but I think Vista will catch on.
    Thats not in question its a new release but microsoft will lose some market share macs are selling better then ever and ubuntu's market share is always growing.
    Cyclonite wrote:
    I do most my gaming on Vista, and I've had minimal issues. Though my games don't tend to run as well as in XP, I find they're within a still-tolerable range.
    Thats great glad to hear you have had a good experience.
  • edited July 2007
    I used vista for quite some times in combination with an ati x1300. The result was that it worked like a charm. Only problem was that 3ds max wouldn't run on it, so i'm back to square 1 with xp x64.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm surprised people are saying they get better results in Vista.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page4.html#3d_games (A bit outdated)

Can't say I've tried it myself, though.
  • edited July 2007
    the june 2007 directx redistributable includes Directx updates i installed it on my pc which is running vista and it updated dx 9 and 10