Really bad hard drive performance with Vista

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
My computer has slowed down since I "upgraded" to Vista. And not just a little... A LOT. I've narrowed it down to horrible drive performance. Programs take way longer to launch, the disk is constantly churning, and (perhaps most telling), defrags take way longer.

I have an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe with a normal 7200RPM Maxtor SATA drive.

The driver is SIL3132 SATALink Controller 1.0.19.

Vista 32bit

I have 2gb of high performance ram and an Athlon 64 X2/5000+. I don't think the performance problems lie there. Besides, the computer was way faster with XP.

Am I just screwed until they come out with better/optimized drivers for Vista, or am I using bad drivers already? :confused:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Did you update the chipset drivers? Did you make sure your drivers are using caching in the device manager? Are the drives using the proper UDMA mode?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yes to the first two. How do I check UDMA mode in vista?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Normal way I believe, if your interface drivers are complete and have it implemented.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yes to the first two. How do I check UDMA mode in vista?

Here's directions to check it http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1712831&postcount=6
    Hope this helps prime.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    The link doesn't work Hawk...

Have you tried to disable the Windows Search service? (set it to disabled, not manual) It makes searching a lot slower, but worth a try to see what's causing the slowdown. If disabling Windows Search helps, you can try enabling the service again and experiment with turning off indexing on some of your drives/big folders (see screenshot).

There's also a hotfix (KB931770 available by request from MS) which has helped some (no change for me though), I got it here: http://thehotfixshare.net/download/index.php?dir=Language%20Neutral/Vista/&sort=m_time&sort_mode=d

I'm also struggling with bad network throughput :(
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Sorry, Didn't check the link to see if it went through. Works now.
    edited June 2007
    Indexing has been turned off since day 1. It was making the machine absolutely crawl :-/

I have a feeling it's just **** drivers at this point. I'll check the MS link you posted, lasse. Thanks :)
    edited June 2007
    I'd say go back to the driver vista provided and see if that helps.
    edited June 2007
    Here's the problem with that: When I have the driver that MS update recommends (i.e. - the microsoft version of the driver), I get bluescreens all the time. :-/

Can't win. :(
    edited June 2007
    YAY FOR MICROSOFT!
    edited June 2007
    I stuck a 512mb CompactFlash card in my computer today and enabled readyboost and things are WAY faster.

Vista is weird :-/
    edited June 2007
    I don't understand readyboost, but I think it's just a read-through buffer.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Readyboost is an expansion to the page file.
    edited June 2007
    I knew that, but I haven't seen alot of fast flash devices, really. I think the fastest I've seen is is Memorystick Pro Duo, with it's 20MB/S. Wouldn't that actually be a bottleneck?
    edited June 2007
    All I know is that my system runs much better with a 480mb readyboost file. :confused:
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    So maybe vista will be ready by like SP2 or 3.....nahh