building first comp. Help. Comments. Suggestions

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Alright, so i want to build my first computer. I feel comfortable in doing it i just dont know what hardware is compatible with each other. I want a computer that i would have for a few years and i can always upgrade, its mainly going to be used for writing essays doing research on the internet ( College work) and playing the occasional game here and there.. Money isnt to much of a problem no real budget set in mind.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Set a budget anyway, it makes everything a lot easier. You'd be surprised how expensive the boys around here can make a computer. ;)

secondly, what kind of games do you play?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Also do you have a preference of AMD or Intel? Both offer great upgrade paths... but if you want the fastest CPU's than Intel is your bet.. If you want mid range you have a choice of both AMD and Intel.
  • edited June 2007
    well, i want the fastest, and most reliable.. Eh for budget i really dont know.. i will be getting grad money soon. But i guess under 1000?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    okay $1000 gives us a good guide :) do you want Windows XP or Windows Vista?
  • edited June 2007
    xp.. i got xp pro all set soo an os is out of the question
  • edited June 2007
    on tigerdirect.com they have something where u can customize your own computer.. Any good?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    i would try to avoid tigerdirect, their Customer Service sucks.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    leishi85 wrote:
    i would try to avoid tigerdirect, their Customer Service sucks.

Personally I've never had an issue with Tigerdirect's customer service, or a problem with anything I've ever purchased from them.

Anyway....

For $1000 you are looking at a mid range system, or a mix of low and high end components. It also depends on what you have to buy, If you only need case, psu, mobo, vid and ram. Then $1000 goes a lot farther then if you need to get HDD's, Monitor, optical drives etc.....

I'd recommend going with the fastest single core processor you can. Your general 'office' style work won't benefit one way or another from going dual core but currently most games run better on a higher clocked single core processor then a lower clocked dual core. Dual core's true benefit comes in if you are doing lots of multi-tasking, using VMware or running large powered multi-media software (video editing, 3d modeling that sorta thing). Single cores are cheaper and for gaming still better - so that's your first savings.

Ram 2 gigs - I don't care what anyone says. It's cheap and will give you your 2nd biggest bang for the buck in performance

Video card - don't go cutting edge, you can't afford it and you don't need it. Get a card that's a couple back and in the $300 range. If you plan ahead and care you may be able to get a mobo that supports SLI and if you get SLI compatible cards you can get 1 now and then add in a second one later on for huge gains in graphical power.

PSU nothing less then 500 watts.

The case, hard to say but go for function over flare. A well designed solid case that has good room inside to work around are cheap if you avoid the fancy designs.

The mobo I'd recomend Asus - but that's just from my own experience as for the functions onboard 10/100/1000 is pretty standard, though the 1000 is overkill. Onboard sound is also handy and saves $$$ and case space. Don't, whatever you do though get onboard video.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Look on anandtech.com
    http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2973

It isn't that they pick the best parts, it's just helpful because they explain their choices.
    If it were me, I would go with an Intel Core2Duo CPU and a mobo with a P965 chipset. You don't need the fastest CPU, so save some there and the mobo is getting better since a new chipset is coming out.

Case, what ever you like.
    PSU, don't skimp, at least 500W and plan on $100
    mobo, Asus is hard to beat, maybe Gigabyte or MSI or DFI. just over $100
    CPU, C2D E6420 is a good option and still under $200
    HDD, I like Seagate (5 yr war.) 7200.10 250GB, if you need more then buy two, $65 ea
    CD/DVD burner, Pioneer SATA interface $35
    memory, good brand 2x1GB, there are a number of options for DDR2 800 with spd of 4-4-4 that are under $100
    Video, this is tough. I see two options. Spend $100 on a 7600GS and plan on replacing it, or go with an 8800GTS for $300 and plan on keeping it.

Use the onboard sound and network. You should be able to do well.