Needing help finding applicable memory

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hi all-
I have an ASUS P5GDC-V DELUXE motherboard.
Right now it has 512M stick of memory by CORSAIR XMS2-4300 (DDR2 533MHz). I know that I can only have max. of 2G of DDR2 on this board. I want to upgrade to either a total of 1G or maybe even 2G. My question is, do I have to use 533MHz or does the higher ram speed will create problems.

Thanks

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2007
    point_man wrote:
    Hi all-
    I have an ASUS P5GDC-V DELUXE motherboard.
    Right now it has 512M stick of memory by CORSAIR XMS2-4300 (DDR2 533MHz). I know that I can only have max. of 2G of DDR2 on this board. I want to upgrade to either a total of 1G or maybe even 2G. My question is, do I have to use 533MHz or does the higher ram speed will create problems.

Thanks

Hey Point Man,

In general higher speed ram will clock down to run at the same speed as the slowest ram in a mixed ram system. This is all controlled by the BIOS on your motherboard. So you could get another 512MB of DDR-667 ram and it would most likely work. However, mixing ram _CAN_ cause problems and no one can really guarantee it'll work perfectly.

Given how cheap ram has become, you may find it less hassle to just buy 2x1GB of DDR-667. Please note: your motherboard only supports speeds up to DDR-533. That means even if you buy 2 sticks of DDR-667, it will still run at DDR-533 speeds.