system wont start after bios update

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hi everyone, I despratly need some help:

I just tried reflashing my bios for the first time using the asus winflash utility. the system asked to reboot which I allowed and it didnt start again. The fans start but thats all I get.

If anyone can help me get my beloved system to post again Id be forever greatfull

Thanks in advance for any assistance
-SN-

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    First thing to try is to open up your case and look for the jumper that resets your Bios, It should be a grouping of 3 posts with a two post jumper.

Sometimes when you update your bios it changes the timings available so you have to reset it back to the default settings.

The other possibility is that the wrong bios got flashed, or despite what it said it didn't get finished. If this is the case your bios could be screwed. If your lucky you have a dual bios chip that has 2 banks and you can copy a default one over to the broken one.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    If all else fails:

www.badflash.com
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited June 2007
    Ok, Im gonna try the jumpers tonight and fingers crossed that works. One question tho. once Ive swapped the jumpers over, do I just start the system or do I swap them back before powering up again?
    edited June 2007
    So I swapped the jumpers, powered it up (as per the manual) and nothing... Ive got the cmos battery out at the moment and will put it in again in a few minutes too see if that helps... other than that, any one have any other ideas?
    edited June 2007
    ok, tried the cmos battery, tried the jumpers, I think its time to consider my options... Prime Suspect, Ive had a look over the bad flash website, how difficult/dangerous is it to remove/replace a bios chip?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    ok, tried the cmos battery, tried the jumpers, I think its time to consider my options... Prime Suspect, Ive had a look over the bad flash website, how difficult/dangerous is it to remove/replace a bios chip?

If the computer is off and you are careful there is little risk. The big trick is to remove the chip with even pressure at both ends so that the pins don't get bent. If you are good you can do it with a small flat headed screw driver and just work it out slowly a little bit at a time alternating back and forth. A chip puller though is the safer alternative.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    He could just send his motherboard back to Asus and tell them the bios is corrupt. If they're cool like Epox/ECS, they'll flash the newest bios they haveo n it and send it back.