New mobo/proc, Possible heat issue

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hey all, I swapped out my mobo/processor a couple days ago but since then I've been having problems where the system would restart randomly. After a bit of poking around I *think* I've singled out the problem.

I'm using a P4 651 (3.4 GHz). I just reseated the heatsink and downloaded SpeedFan, but one thing that interests me is that the "temp2" monitor is higher than "temp1". I don't know what each of them is monitoring but I'm playing it safe and assuming that "temp2" is the one I need to worry about right now, because after folding for a short while, it got up to 50*C and showed a little flame next to it. I turned off F@H at that point, but already it had gone for longer than it had before I reseated the HSF.

Pretty much all I really need to know is what kind of temps are acceptable for this proc, and if anyone can help, what is temp1 and temp2 in SpeedFan?

Rick

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    What mobo are you using?
    Yes, always worry about the highest one when it comes to temp.
    Do you have some good thermal compound? Like AS5?
    I suggest that you remove the HSF and reseat everything.

Is this the CPU that you were using before?
    This will put a heck of a load on your PSU.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    What mobo are you using?
    Yes, always worry about the highest one when it comes to temp.
    Do you have some good thermal compound? Like AS5?
    I suggest that you remove the HSF and reseat everything.

Is this the CPU that you were using before?
    This will put a heck of a load on your PSU.

It's a cheap mobo that I'm not quite over yet (as in I'm not quite sure this isn't the source of my problems)... PC chips P23G. My dad gave it to me and I don't think he knows a decent part from a crappy one. The thermal compound is the patch of stuff that was on the heatsink.

I was using a P4 2.8C northwood before and my Thermaltake Purepower 420W was just fine. Is the power draw really that high?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Without looking at the Intel web site I can't remember, but I am sure that that chip is rated for operation above 50C. You can build toasters out of them.
    Get some good compound, remove the HSF, clean it off, go for it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Intel chips in LGA775 are safe up to 62C.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2007
    I would have replied earlier but I had to go. So maybe it's not a heat issue; it seems browsing the internet while playing Breaking Ben is enough. I'm kinda lost now.

It seems like memory could be a problem but I'm using the same sticks that were in my other system - 2 Kingston 512 DDR400 sticks. I'm not doing anything taxing on the PSU so I don't see how it could be that either... :(

EDIT: I'm thinking of just going back to my old parts cause this is so not worth 600 MHz.