Case Fan Rubber Silencers

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hey does anyone have those rubber silencer installed in their case? I just recently purchased a antec p180 case and it did lower the noise a lot but, I still hear the fan noises. I'm wondering if anyone is using these rubber silence,r if so please tell me if they are effective or not in lowering the fan noises.

Comments

• yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2007
    From the best of my experience I can't tell the difference. ...AND I HATE NOISE POLLUTION!

I would think the best way to deal with sound is start with quieter noise sources, mount them solidly, and to a thick solid mount and/or surface. I have used rubber surrounds for psus and fans, as well as way too many grommets and some home brew-type stuff, and none of these really made that much of a difference. I would still use them if I could get away with it, meaning they don't create some mounting problem, but I don't think they work like some may claim.

It may be of some benefit to put in sound deadner, atleast if your case doesn't have too many openings. I've done this and it does seem to help better than dampeners on the noise sources themselves.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Most fan noise comes from the fan itself, not the way it is mounted.
    Make sure you know where the sound is comming from, try to isolate it.

Good fans can make a difference!

Make sure you read up on the specs of any fans you purchase if that is what you end up doing, don't just buy name brand fans & assume they will be quiet.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I got some silent fans from a company called Evergreen. The fans are ugly, but they really are silent. I love them. They don't have rubbers...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    What the rubber dampeners do is diminish the transmission of vibration from the fan into the metal case. In some instances they do make a difference, where the sound is actually the metal of the case vibrating. If you've reduced your sound to only the sound of the fan moving air, you'll unfortunately have to get a different fan to reduce the sound much further.