Icrontic Forum Bytes - Smaller?

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Community
Can we reduce the size of the Icrontic Forum Bytes area... I'm new to the milestone but it's a pain to keep the titles small enough to not be truncated. Just curious.... :thumbsup:

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Bytes aren't a "size" per say, they just take up "the rest of the space not used by hot threads and milestones". I shaved 20px off hot threads (it was white space), added 30px to milestones, and gave milestone titles another 15 characters before they get truncated (55 now if you're curious). Cheers :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    SWEET... 55 characters... {File in important stuff area in brain... FULL... Toss breathing...} OK, I'll remember that now.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Sometimes the bytes seem to take up more than the usual amount of space for me. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but I'll take a screenshot next time it happens. Maybe it's just one byte in particular with weird formatting that does it.
    edited June 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Sometimes the bytes seem to take up more than the usual amount of space for me. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but I'll take a screenshot next time it happens. Maybe it's just one byte in particular with weird formatting that does it.
    I've noticed as well. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help pinpoint the cause.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I get that more often than not... the byte section becomes huge... not sure what causes it, but it happens 8 times out of 10.
    edited June 2007
    Well, it's always going to take up "the rest of the space" however wide you window is open. I'm taking when it gets so big that it stretches out the screen and/or crushes the hot threads/milestones.
    edited June 2007
    Here's an example. Screenshot at 1280*1024.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I've never, ever had that issue. WTF? I use FF as well.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I had it about 2 hours ago. Not that that helps any.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    happened to me on a few occasions as well. Also using FF
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Just had it.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Never happened to me. Wonder if it is affecting all browsers or just specific ones.

I use IE for the record.
    edited June 2007
    IT HAPPEN.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I get it with FF. IE6 & IE7
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Just did it to me at last. Here's a paste of the header code; maybe it'll help.

[php]
    <!-- CUSTOM HEADER -->
    <table class="tborder" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
    <tr>
    <td class="tcat"><div align="center" style="padding: 3px 0 3px 0;"><a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=26,57,37">Hot Threads</a></div></td>
    <td class="tcat"><div align="center"><a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2089">Icrontic Forum Byte</a></div></td>
    <td class="tcat"><div align="center"><a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26">Recent Folding Milestones</a></div></td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td class="alt2" width="280px" valign="top" style="border-right: 1px solid #FF000;background-color:#434343;"><div style="padding: 10px 0 10px 10px;"><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=19549"><font color="#64b3db">DELL P1110 monitor too bright</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63641"><font color="#64b3db">Thoughts on a decent mATX board/set-up?</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63687"><font color="#64b3db">8800gts Bootup Weirdness !!!</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63677"><font color="#64b3db">Norton Internet Security 2005</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63699"><font color="#64b3db">Xvid video converter</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63593"><font color="#64b3db">Drive hangs computer</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63646"><font color="#64b3db">It's a Prime Time Birthday!</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63534"><font color="#64b3db">Desktop Tower</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63698"><font color="#64b3db">Best recording software..............</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63694"><font color="#64b3db">Polynominal approximation, least squar...</font></a></b></div>

</div>

</td>
    <td class="alt2" width="" valign="top" style="background-color:#434343;"><div style="padding:10px 10px 0px 10px;"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" align="center"><tr>
    <td><div class="smallfont"><font face="Franklin Gothic Medium"><font color="Green"><font size="2"><div align="center">Airbornflight muses over his <a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48405&quot; target="_blank">difficulty in resisting upgrading</a> his computer.</div></font></font></font><br />
    <br />
    <font color="Red"><b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">All of these pricecuts and people talking about their upgrades while I am wanting to wait till next july/august is like talking to a girl and her giving you the look after my pastor just gave a speech over abstinance. I am trying so very hard to resist the temptation...</div></font></b></font>
    </div></td></tr></table></div>
    </td>
    <td class="alt2" width="330px" valign="top" style="border-left: 1px solid #FF000;background-color:#434343;"><div style="padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px;"><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63674"><font color="#64b3db">Today eddcosta Grabs 10,000 Points</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63668"><font color="#64b3db">Bart Williams Award for 5K - called4more</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63663"><font color="#64b3db">Red787 Breaks Folding Meter @ 10,000</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63662"><font color="#64b3db">IcronticHQ Has Been Busy - 5K, 7.5K, 10K</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63637"><font color="#64b3db">IndigoRed smokes 3K & 5K!</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63636"><font color="#64b3db">SM25 hath smoten 75K</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63635"><font color="#64b3db">Andrew Royer flies by 50K</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63634"><font color="#64b3db">CrazyJoe0813 flogs 100K!</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63528"><font color="#64b3db">IndigoRed makes their mark with 1,000 points!</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63526"><font color="#64b3db">aaron_tragon reaches 25K</font></a></b></div></div>
    </td>

</tr>
    </table>
    <!-- / CUSTOM HEADER -->
    <br />[/php]
    <!-- CUSTOM HEADER -->
    <table class="tborder" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
            <tr>
              <td class="tcat"><div align="center" style="padding: 3px 0 3px 0;"><a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=26,57,37">Hot Threads</a></div></td>
              <td class="tcat"><div align="center"><a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2089">Icrontic Forum Byte</a></div></td>
              <td class="tcat"><div align="center"><a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26">Recent Folding Milestones</a></div></td>
            </tr>

<tr>
              <td class="alt2" width="280px" valign="top" style="border-right: 1px solid #FF000;background-color:#434343;"><div style="padding: 10px 0 10px 10px;"><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=19549"><font color="#64b3db">DELL P1110 monitor too bright</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63641"><font color="#64b3db">Thoughts on a decent mATX board/set-up?</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63687"><font color="#64b3db">8800gts Bootup Weirdness !!!</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63677"><font color="#64b3db">Norton Internet Security 2005</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63699"><font color="#64b3db">Xvid video converter</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63593"><font color="#64b3db">Drive hangs computer</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63646"><font color="#64b3db">It's a Prime Time Birthday!</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63534"><font color="#64b3db">Desktop Tower</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63698"><font color="#64b3db">Best recording software..............</font></a></b></div>

<div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=63694"><font color="#64b3db">Polynominal approximation, least squar...</font></a></b></div>

</div>

</td>
    <td class="alt2" width="" valign="top" style="background-color:#434343;"><div style="padding:10px 10px 0px 10px;"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" align="center"><tr>
    <td><div class="smallfont"><font face="Franklin Gothic Medium"><font color="Green"><font size="2"><div align="center">Airbornflight muses over his <a href="http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48405" target="_blank">difficulty in resisting upgrading</a> his computer.</div></font></font></font><br />
    <br />
    <font color="Red"><b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">All of these pricecuts and people talking about their upgrades while I am wanting to wait till next july/august is like talking to a girl and her giving you the look after my pastor just gave a speech over abstinance. I am trying so very hard to resist the temptation...</div></font></b></font>
    </div></td></tr></table></div> 
              </td>
              <td class="alt2" width="330px" valign="top" style="border-left: 1px solid #FF000;background-color:#434343;"><div style="padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px;"><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63674"><font color="#64b3db">Today eddcosta Grabs 10,000 Points</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63668"><font color="#64b3db">Bart Williams Award for 5K - called4more</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63663"><font color="#64b3db">Red787 Breaks Folding Meter @ 10,000</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63662"><font color="#64b3db">IcronticHQ Has Been Busy - 5K, 7.5K, 10K</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63637"><font color="#64b3db">IndigoRed smokes 3K & 5K!</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63636"><font color="#64b3db">SM25 hath smoten 75K</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63635"><font color="#64b3db">Andrew Royer flies by 50K</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63634"><font color="#64b3db">CrazyJoe0813 flogs 100K!</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63528"><font color="#64b3db">IndigoRed makes their mark with 1,000 points!</font></a></b></div><div class="smallfont"><b><font color="#FFF">»</font> <a href="showthread.php?t=63526"><font color="#64b3db">aaron_tragon reaches 25K</font></a></b></div></div> 
              </td>

</tr>
          </table>
    <!-- / CUSTOM HEADER -->
    <br />

edited July 2007
    OK, I just sat and refreshed the page about 100 times and got through all the bytes just posted and other's I've periodically had trouble with - all of them load fine. I also checked a couple randomly, and there's nothing special about their formatting. I'm chalking this up to random periodic quirks of the browser when rendering 5 tables embedded in each other.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    IT HAPPEN.

someone set up us teh byte