problem with Raid

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hi Guy's, I'm new to this, so I apologise if i'm posting this in the wrong area, my problem is this, i'm running a server, SBS 2003, everything was working fine until one of the drives failed, I'm only using onboard Raid software, I replaced the new drive and it came up with the message that "Port 1 is in rebuilding State" and then a warning: Array(s) in Degraded Mode!!!.
Do you know how long it takes to rebuild the drive (WD Raptor ATA 74gig)? and was there something I needed to do to the drive first.
Any help would be grateful,

Cheers,
Macbachster :confused:

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Is this a BIOS message or a Windows message?

Usually all you have to is select the Rebuild Array option from either the BIOS menu or the Raid software, it will take quite a while and server performance will be slow if there are users on the system while it rebuilds...
  • edited June 2007
    troll wrote:
    Is this a BIOS message or a Windows message?

Usually all you have to is select the Rebuild Array option from either the BIOS menu or the Raid software, it will take quite a while and server performance will be slow if there are users on the system while it rebuilds...
  • edited June 2007
    Thanks for replying Troll,
    I can't get into the raid utility program, I think it is set to auto rebuild, so I don't know if anything is actualy happening, earlier when the drive started to go I was able to access the utility program that starts right at boot up time, I tried to do a rebuild then but the drive was stuffed, and the rebuild would fail each time, since I put in the new drive it just boots up and tells me that it's in a rebuild state, but it's been 2 days, it sounds like the drive is active but how long should it take?
    If I put a Raid card in now do you think I could start the pc and allow the rebuild to complete that way, I have only a day or so to get this running,
    thanks again for your input

macbachster
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    A Raid card will not help you as the low level raid setup on the drives would most likely be different a format / configuration etc than the one on card would use...

The raid manual for your board states:

That auto-rebuilding takes place when you enter the BIOS Configuration Utility (Ctrl-E)

If it is set to manual then you must manually rebuild it from within the CU...

Either way you have to go into the raid setup in the bios till the array is finished rebuilding...

Your Raid Manual is here:
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/cs-020406.htm