New Computer Parts List

sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
parts list for new computer

This is the wish list for my PC. I went through it with a friend tonight for about 4 hours after a rather vicious guitar hero session. Any feedback from some of you out there who know what you're talking about would be greatly appreciated. I consider myself to have been out of the loop of this stuff for a while.

The video card has a $25 rebate on it and the memory has a $40 rebate attached so bear that in mind when thinking about prices.

* power supply I already have is a Hiper Type-R 580w *

Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I would change your HSF to one of these:

Thermalright Ultra-120, Scythe Ninja or Tuniq Tower.

Your motherboard to one of these:

Asus P5B Deluxe, Gigabyte GA-P965-DQ6, Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 (Especially this one, since the other two cannot be upgraded to the 45nm penryn chips)

Your other choices are great.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Do what Thrax said, IMO he's right on the money.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I would change your HSF to one of these:

Thermalright Ultra-120, Scythe Ninja or Tuniq Tower.

Your motherboard to one of these:

Asus P5B Deluxe, Gigabyte GA-P965-DQ6, Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 (Especially this one, since the other two cannot be upgraded to the 45nm penryn chips)

Your other choices are great.

how about a zalman CNPS 9700 for the HSF?

I can't decide on the motherboard.
    I'm leaning heavily towards the P5B Deluxe, after your recommendations (and reading Newegg comments for each of the four boards)

your opinions?
    edited June 2007
    None of the heatsinks on the market touch the three I listed. They're head and shoulders above the rest; it's astronomical, really.

When considering the motherboard: The P5B deluxe is a great buy, no doubt, but it's a dead end for upgrading. the GA-P35-DQ6 is amazing. I'm going to be buying one ASAP.
    edited June 2007
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, w/Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E

and ASUS P5W DH DELUXE ...seem worthy?
    - I read some stuff on Anandtech and they didn't seem to have so many problems with this board compared to the gigabyte 'Q6. I don't know if the only reason the Gigabyte didn't win was because they received a flawed one, but stories like that tend to set me on edge. If a hardware review site can't be supplied with a non-fubar'd board, what are *MY* chances?! I guess that regardless what I choose, there seems to be the sad fact that manufacturing errors tend to have dead/gimpy boards prevalent still.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Looks tight by me.
    What are you doing for a PSU? I finally broke down and bought a PC Power and Cooling unit. I hate to say it but I am never going back. I used to think that $100 for a PSU was crazy talk, but now it is the only choice.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    :pfft My PSU was $5 on sale. It works like a charm! IT was my $100 PSU that killed my last MoBo... :P
    edited June 2007
    The P5W offers no performance enhancement over the P5B, and is worse at overclocking. The 975X chipset is just plain bad in comparison, which makes no sense.

Either way, the three best options are the P35-DQ6, P965-DQ6 and the P5B Deluxe. Of the three, only the P35 won't upgrade you into a dead end.
    edited June 2007
    just curious - where should I look for this type of info? apparently I don't have enough resources. Thanks for the help.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Hi there,

As Thrax is saying, getting a mainboard now for a Core 2 duo is really an easy choice. I got Thrax to buy a P5B Deluxe a couple of months ago and i don't think he regrets that. I still use mine and it will go into the office rig once i get a P35 board. Unless the Gigabyte have features you MUST have, this board should be considered and put the money on a better cpu or a powersupply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180
    edited June 2007
    Mack:

I usually agree with you on motherboard choices, but the DQ6 is getting higher clocks on the FSB around the internet. It also uses better components like capacitors and PWMs. Plus, reports are saying that certain spots on the Asus p35 boards are up to 50*C hotter than other boards with the same chipset, and heat is the last thing I need to face.

I do regret my P5B now that it doesn't go over 366MHz on the FSB, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, because I know it wouldn't be bad.
    edited June 2007
    sharkydart wrote:
    just curious - where should I look for this type of info? apparently I don't have enough resources. Thanks for the help.

I don't know about these guys, but I go to Icrontic... :D

Or I just ask GHoosdum, he's usually up to date on a lot of this stuff... I would be, but I can never remember all the damn modle numbers and stuff...

Heck, if it wasn't for GH's help, I wouldn't even remember my own system specs... This is not hyperbole... It's sort-of sad, actually... :(

---

This proly happens about three times per year:

Me, standing in MicroCenter looking at computer parts with the phone to my ear:

"Hey, Rob, howsit goin'?"

"Good... hey, what motherboard did I get when I upgraded last year?"

"Really? how much did I spend on that?"

"What?! What was I thinking?"

"Ohhhh..."

"I see..."

"Hey, what Processor did I get?"

"oh, sweet!"

"Okay, thanks that's what I needed to know."

"Yea, later"
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    That's all fine Thrax, but i like Gigabyte as much as you used to like certain brands. I just can't touch a Gigabyte with a 10 foot pole. But if it is truly THAT much better than the Asus, which itself have had insanely good overclocking results, very often above 550 easily, i guess you can't go wrong with the gigabyte.
    edited June 2007
    hehe Yeah, I know what you mean, CB - I used to pride myself in having a finger on the pulse of advancements in computer technology, but I just kind of lost interest, and now am finding myself asking for help.

I just wish I knew some sources you guys get your info from. I've searched through hardware review sites, their forums, manufacturer forums, and nowhere did I find anyone praising the gigabyte board over all others. Yes, it has the newest technology, but once the C2D becomes insufficient, is the P35 still going to be an attractive upgrade? I ended up deciding on it, but only because of the price difference probably being less than it will in the future to get an entirely new motherboard. Which WAS one of the reasons to get the DQ6, yes - but my last taste of a Gigabyte was in setting my friend's computer up and it left an acrid taste in my mouth. Yeah, it frustrated me so much, that I was about to bite it.

Oh well; this whole ordeal makes mattress shopping feel like a cakewalk.
    edited June 2007
    Have you, in fact, purchased a mattress yet?
    edited June 2007
    I know Gigabyte has a horrid name in the computing industry. I know, I know, I know. I got burned a thousand times in the KT266A/KT333 days, and vowed I would never, ever go back.

But I said that about ATi. And Intel. And a lot of other companies that now produce some stellar products. Proof is in the pudding: The P965-DQ6 is a venerable board that is comparable to the P5B deluxe in virtually every way. Clock speeds, voltage, overclockability, etc. etc. The P35 is practically a northbridge swap. That's how close the motherboards resemble one another. <I>This</i> time, Gigabyte used some astoundingly reliable/"Holy crap, it's about time" parts on their board.

I've been reading a lot about this board, and I've seen nothing but great results.

I don't know what else to say. :D A devout Gigabyte-hater is converted.
    edited June 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Have you, in fact, purchased a mattress yet?

please, i know where my priorities lie... not on a mattress xD This purchase is preparing me (making me docile and happy) to spend even more to finally get a mattress. I just need to find the time to shop for one!