Best Enthusiast Core 2 Mainboards..

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I've unfortunately been out of touch in the HW arena for the last six months or so. The recent price drops on the Core 2 chips have me interested. I'm looking for some recommendations for socket 775 tweaker boards. Bang for the buck and high overclocking headroom is what interests me most. I do not need lots of extra features or SLI/Crossfire. Bang for the buck comes to mind :)

The vapochill sits idle and is hungry for new CPUs. :buck:

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    The best ones are coming to market in a few months. Intel will release the X38 chipset and the RD790 will be out from AMD.
    Can you say unlocked speed and multi?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Asus P5B Deluxe, Gigabyte GA-P965-DQ6, Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6*.

Chips are hard-locked. You only get an unlocked chip with the extreme edition, otherwise it's the default multi -1 or -2.

*The best of the three
  • edited June 2007
    LL, I recently bought a Gigabyte DS3 rev 1.3 from the Egg for $99.00 (yeah, I know that does you no good since NE won't ship to you in the great white north) and if you aren't interested in SLI/Crossfire it's a great choice. With no other mods to it besides removing the nb and sb and reinstalling them with AS5, the board is rock solid with my E6300 at 500 fsb for 24/7/365 usage. And I did a little playing with it last week and it looks to be good for around 520 fsb before it starts losing stability. Not bad for a $100 board.:D

But Ed is right in that the new offerings that are just coming out or will be releasing in a few months should be even more overclockable. Nvidia is supposed to be coming out with a revised chipset for Intel soon too.