44-46C Idle x2 4600.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I'd say it's about 25C ambient right now in my room, maybe cooler, and I'm just sitting here, doing nothing to a 44C idle temp. Wow. It's bad enough my motherboard set the chip to 1.28V instead of 1.25, where it's supposed to be, now it's trying to cook itself. I'd change the paste if I thought it'd help, but now that I reflect back, this thing's always ran a little warm, even compared to my old 939 FX-55, but when my FX got hot, the fan sped up to take care of that. Never saw it over 43C, and it didn't stay that high for very long.

Do you guys have any ideas, other than dunking it in oil, or any recommendations for cooling?

I've got the Xclio A-CS380 case, which has a 25CM fan blowing down on everything, keeping my chipset nice and cool at a balmy 33C, which I think is kinda high for a northbridge...

EDIT:\\And whilst playing Firearms, a HL1 mod, I hit 54C.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    My dad's X2 hits 55C at full load at 3GHz. You have poor CPU cooling.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    how is the ventilation in your case? do you have a fan infront and in back? if so where at in the PC...?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Flow-through. A fan at the front, measuring 25CM, that sucks air in from the front, then on the left side, that pulls air in on the video card, I have the bottom two PCI slots open on the case, and those barrel fans sucking air out of the case, and an 80mm fan, by the processor, sucking air out the case. I have awesome airflow. But the sad part is this is the 65W processor. It's supposed to run cool compared to the 85W one. The air coming out of the back of the case is room temperature, and I'm using the stock HSF that's running at it's normal speeds.
    edited June 2007
    how is the air coming out? hot or cold? also how is ventilation above the CPU? does the PSU have a fan... heat rises so all your heat is on top while it sounds like the bottom is sucking and pulling air...

I'm guessing your PC looks like this...

As a rule of thumb I never count my PSU as a true fan...
    Hot.jpg 88.1K
    edited June 2007
    More like...
    attempttodepict.jpg
    I wished I could find a decent copper heatsink for under 40 bucks.
    edited June 2007
    The older Zalman 8000 series can be found for that :)
    edited June 2007
    What about this? I can get that in my local Altex when I get paid, think that'd work if I smacked two 120mm fans on it?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    What thermal paste are you using ?.
    edited June 2007
    The stock that came with this. The heatsink is not hot to the touch, as one would expect at "44C". I think my sensor's a liar, because I can literally hold the heatsink indefinatly, and it be the same temperature as the air hitting it.

Edit:// A flip of two fans, fabrication of four screws, and 30 minutes work, I'm now down to a very acceptable 38C. I'm still gonna get a new heatsink, but this is something for now. I guess flow through is over-rated?

Edit:// And my 60% max temp is 50C. I'm almost scared to see 100.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    If you dropped you idle temp, and your HS does not get super hot, then it must be thermal resistance between the HS and the CPU.
    Get some good compound (AS5) and dismount the HS, clean it off, make sure that it is flat, and remount with new compound.
    Also make sure that your HSF is not running slow. It needs to kick to high speed at any temp over about 40C.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2007
    ..I think my sensor's a liar, because I can literally hold the heatsink indefinatly, and it be the same temperature as the air hitting it.

It would not surprise me if that was indeed the case. I've seen sensors way off. One of my old NF3 boards even displayed CPU temps way below ambient.

Assuming the readings are correct, even with the stock heatsink and thermal pad, those idle temperature readings are too high. My 4200+ and XP90 Al runs in the high 20s at idle. As mentioned above, I'd definitely clean it up and apply some new thermal interface material. Also, ensure that the heatsink bottom is flat and not convex/convace. I had a major problem with an old Barton heatsink back in the day due to an uneven surface.
    edited June 2007
    Well, I also noticed this.. While my CPU heatsink stays a nice and cool touch temperature, my northbridge heatsink could make me some soup. That thing hurts to touch and the board sensor reports it at 35C. That's not very warm. Hell, it's hotter than that outside. Think the sensor may be backwards?

EDIT://Also, this just started happening like a month ago.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    Sensors arn't normally accurate (excluding the server grade winbond ones used on many tyans, there top notch). However try changing your thermal paste to something that doesn't suck. (I recommend arctic silver 5)
    edited June 2007
    After some type44 compound, I'm down to 34C. I don't know if this is just me, but every time I pull up a heatsink, the processor comes with it. It doesn't matter what chip, or what pincount, or whatever. That scares the jesus out of me..

Edit:// I'm also still seeing a fairly high 60% load temp of 47.

Edit:// I'm wondering if an FX-55 heatsink for a 939 would work, since I think the clamps are the same from the appearance.
  • edited June 2007
    Does the FX55 heatsink you own have 4 heatpipes on it coming out of one side? If so, then that is a decent heatsink and much better than the non-heatpipe heatsinks that AMD includes with the 512kb L2 cache X2 procs. And that 4 heatpipe AMD heatsink performs even better when you replace the stock 80 mm fan with something like an 80 mm Panaflo H1 or U1 or Thermaltake SmartFan 2 on it. If the mobo retention mount has the 2 center tabs on it then you can use the FX heatsink on your board.

And if want to upgrade to a better hsf, then look around and see if you can find a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX, Thermalright U-120 or U-90, Tuniq Tower 120 or even a Thermalright XP90-C on sale in various forums classifieds/trading posts. All those I mentioned will do well cooling an A64 system.
    edited June 2007
    Well, I've already ordered the cooler master thing, and it promises to be quite effective with two 110CFM 120mm fans.

But no comment on the heatsink pulling up the processor?
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, I've had that problem with Intel socket 478 and AMD socket 754 and 939 too. The best way I've found to avoid doing that is to not let my computer cool off all the way before removal and also to wiggle the heatsinks side to side a little bit (as much as the retention module lets you wiggle it) until you feel a lessening of the stickiness between the hsf and the processor, after you have released the hold down mechanism of course. That is one thing that I really like about Intel's LGA775 socket; there's no physical way to rip the processor out of the socket as it's physically clamped in. The AMD LGA 1207 socket is the same way for the new Opterons and 4 X 4 systems.

As for the Gemini heatsink I think you will see better performance than the stock unit, especially with those 2 high cfm fans but your ears will hate you. Plan on buying a fanbus in the near future to save your hearing. ;)
    edited June 2007
    I've got a few variable resistors, I think they'll work enough, but my room's plenty loud between my computer, box fan, xbox360, and stereo system.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited June 2007
    But no comment on the heatsink pulling up the processor?

Before you pull up on the Heat sinc rotate it to break loose the compound.
    edited June 2007
    On the AM2 bracket, you can't rotate it, because it has angled feet to stop that.

Edit:// If Core Temp is accurate, it takes me ten seconds to go from 50C to 35C.
    edited June 2007
    My idle temp is 34. My max temp is 40. Yay.