another BSOD...

edited June 2007 in Hardware
I know, hard to find the answers to those. Still, I'm desperate...

Here's my problem:

BSOD appear a few seconds after login to windows. The message is:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80624249, 0xB677B964, 0x00000000)

I've tried memtest86, and on my computer the program freeze at test #5, 10%. But, on another computer it shows no problem. I also tried the other computers memory module on my computer, and sometimes there are problems, sometimes it freeze and sometimes no errors...

Therefore, I suspect the mobo isn't working correctly. Is there a way to check that for sure? I've also changed the graphics card and made a new install of XP on a new hdd. This one seems to works fine, but I'm still suspicious.

So, the memory modules work on one computer. Could the slots be at fault? I can not find any "leaks" on the mobo components either.

Thank you very much for any suggestions!
[/FONT]

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    No overclocking? Mem voltage is set properly in the BIOS? I know I have a few sticks that don't run on any less than 2.8V, but I have a board that seems to default to 2.6V. It freaks out until I fix that.
  • edited June 2007
    I haven't tried to overclock it. But sometimes at boot I got a "overclocking failed" and then I just used to reboot and it worked.

I have two Kingston 512 mb, the text on them says 2.6V. DDR Voltage in the BIOS (Asus K8V-SE deluxe) is set to auto, but I could set a fixed value to 2.6, 2.7 or 2.8V. Since the memsticks should be 2.6V, is there any danger setting it to 2.8? I just tried 2.6V, no difference.

I have used the computer for about two years and never had to change the mem voltage before.

Another thing, windows wont start with just one mem stick, only with two of them. That seems odd.

My spec:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]OS: Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2
    CPU: AMD Athlon64 3400+
    CPU cooler: Thermaltake TR2-M6
    Mobo: ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe
    Memory: 2x 512MB Kingston PC3200
    Graphic: Radeon 9550
    HDDs: WD 120GB SATA 7200 + Samsung 250GB SATA 7200
    Power supply: Altis ATX-300PT 300W, 15A at +12V[/FONT]
    edited June 2007
    Reset the CMOS, then double check your values. It could be setting something too high, and you're not realizing it. Make sure everything is set within the stock specs of your processor and memory.
  • edited June 2007
    thank you for taking time. i've done a cmos reset yesterday. what values should I check for? I'm not very good at the bios stuff..
    edited June 2007
    That your RAM timings match, and that the speeds you're running match those that the processor supports at stock. Maybe someone more familiar with that board can shed some light.