Camera suggestion

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys! My parents are buying me a digital camera for my birthday (which was last week, and passed without a birthday thread :(). And I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions or could at least point me to your favorite camera review site.

Since I'm not even remotely a professional I'm looking for a pretty simple point-and-shoot type camera that can be had for around $200 or maybe less. Probably just the best thing that can be at for that price.

Thanks for your help.

Mods: If this is the wrong forum for this post I'm sorry and feel free to move it.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I have to take a crapton of photos for my job, and the other night I ran into a photographer from a rival newspaper. We got to talking about his gear and he mentioned to me that the latest issue of Consumer Reports has a huge camera buyers guide for everything from simple point-and-shoot stuff to semi-pro digital SLRs. While I typically don't advocate CR, it'd be a nice starting place for your research.

BTW: Happy belated birthday! Sorry we missed it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    Happy B-Day.

Anything from nikon or canon is good.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2007
    http://www.dpreview.com/ is a really good digital camera review site. I'm sure you can find something exactly what you are looking for there.

Happy late birthday btw
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    dpreview is a great tool.
    You have to decide how big, physically, you want to go.

We have four in our house. All of them are fairly compact. A couple will actually fit in a shirt pocket. My latest favorite is a Panasonic Lumix because of its 6x optical zoom. My wifes Nikon is way too slow. The Sony is fine, but memory is expensive. The Polaroid has been great. Good pictures, fast, and small.