Laptop User Change

edited June 2007 in Hardware
My dad recently bought me a laptop second hand which had Windows registered and logged on to its previous owner, Jason.

Well, I went in and changed the name of the registered user to my name, I also went in and change the user name to my name...

But, in the Documents folder, there is still a folder labelled as Jasons documents, so I tried to change the name of the folder manually, but it says its a System Folder, so it won't let me change the name that way.

I would have thought that the changing of admins name from Jason to Laney would have changed the documents folder names. I don't want my laptop having anything on it to do with its previous owner, because the last time this happened, I let a college classmate use my laptop in class and they ended up seeing the old details and they reported me for having stolen the laptop because the previous owners details were still inside!!!!

I don't really want to completely wipe the system and start fresh, since there are many useful programs installed on the OS which I don't have installation disks for.
Can anybody help?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Just add yourself as an admin account, log in as you, move your stuff to YOUR folder (from Jason's) and then delete the Jason account.
  • edited June 2007
    Jasons account is already registered within the computer AS the administrators account...

But I actually went and CHANGED the administrators account login name already, its "Laney" now, but the documents folder linked to Jason is still there, don't understand why it would be...
    I thought changing the username would change that too
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Nope. The way I suggested will fix your problem. You can have more than one administrator account name.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2007
    Well for one thing, the person who had this before is stupid to sell their computer and not format the hard drive. If it would've gotten into the wrong hands, jason's personal info could be at risk, anyway...

If you have an external HD/flash drive transfer the files you need to it. Create your own user account like prime said, and then delete Jasons account. Try this if primes method didn't work for you.
  • edited June 2007
    All of his files are deleted, just didn't change any Admin details or anything, it saved him having to format the drive and then reinstall all the old programs that we wanted left on there, games and such.