Computer can't boot

halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
edited June 2007 in Hardware
My, Hp laptop cant boot any more. I spilled gator aid and i didn't realize until the laptop started making noise. Then I was like f'u'k Wtf. Then i got this msg that said

Intel UNDI PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8193/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom.

And it keep saying this over and over again. Some times it will start up but like 10 mins after that it would crash.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    You probably have a dead hard drive, now. I assume it's a Centrino-configured notebook, judging by the UNDI PXE LAN boot ROM. Seeing as it's attempting to boot that, your hard drive is probably hosed. Centrino laptops put the LAN ROM last on the boot priority, meaning that if it's looking to boot from that, you have nothing in your CD-ROM and it doesn't see a hard drive.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2007
    seems like the machine no longer sees the hard drive as a bootable device.. or a device at all. What you are seeing there is the PXE boot menu. its trying to find a PXE server to boot from.

the HP's at work we use have a bios hard drive test. I would suggest you look in the bios and see if it still recoignizes the hard drive

the thing about fluid spills is what it leaves behind when the liquid evaporates. gatoraid stuffed full of sugar which is now on your system board. not a good prediciment.
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited June 2007
    It said No IDE Device. Also one other thing what could i do to fix it? Like what could i do to fix the problems my laptop has.
    edited June 2007
    Buy a new hard drive that matches the one you have, and contact 1-800-HPINVENT for a set of restore DVDs for your machine so you can put Windows on the new HDD. HPs have restore information on a hidden partition on the hard drive, but since your HD no longer functions, you'll need to order them. They'll take 5-10 business days to arrive, and cost $15-30.

Your laptop's condition may continue to deteriorate due to sugar residue. Only time will tell.
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited June 2007
    But i can get on it some times. So wouldnt it still be able to work if i just fixed like the cables and cleaned it out?
    edited June 2007
    No, it wouldn't. Your hard drive, and possibly other system components, are damaged.