Computer wont boot again

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hey, today I switched out a hard drive in my desktop today and now it wont boot. I didn't change any settings, or do anything except for remove 1 hd and replace it with another. I tried resetting the cmos a few times but that didn't work. I keep on getting a message through the speakers saying "system failed cpu test", and when I move the jumper for the battery to the other position it says "system failed due to cpu overclocking". I removed the batter and switched the jumper to the clear position for about an hour, 2 times.

I had the cpu overclocked from 2.2 to 2.3 forever and it never had any problems, so I dont know what the deal is with it. It always ran very cool, so heat was never an issue, which means most likely nothing is damaged. I also removed all the ram but 1 stick, and I also reseated the cpu. Cant really think of anything else to try. Any suggestions other than getting a new bios chip?

asus k8v se deluxe mobo
AMD 64 3200+ newcastle
1GB or ram (512 is in now because I took the other stick out)
xp pro

Comments

• IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Have you tried putting the old hdd back in and see what happens?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2007
    yea, I put it back in when i realized it wasnt booting.
    edited June 2007
    Any chance you have Ultimate Boot CD? It has a bunch of diagnostic utilities that may give you your answer.
    Find it here:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    It has it's own OS, so it'll boot itself.
    Hope that helps!
    edited June 2007
    sorry if this is a double post, but i dont know if that cd will even work for me. The fans turn on, hdds, dvd drive, mobo led, and the videocard fans too. Then through the speakers it says "system failed cpu test" and thats it. Nothing appears on the screen, so I probably wont even be able to boot from that cd.
    edited June 2007
    >edit: Have you tried resetting the bios to default?

First try unplugging everything except power to the mobo. Leave cpu, 1 ram, and monitor. If you have a video card, do you have onboard video? Pull out the card as well if you do and reset the bios for onboard. See what it does when you apply power. Also, be sure you didn't knock either power plug when you pulled the hdd. If it passes, you know it's a peripheral.
    Next, (cheaper) put in a different power supply, and try the test again.
    Third, (next cheaper) a different ram chip. A known good one.
    If at this point, it's still failing, you know your looking at something on the mobo. I personally wouldn't suspect the bios, it's pretty robust. I could be wrong tho, anything's possible... :rolleyes2
    I'd suggest seeing if you could borrow a mobo to perform the same test above on your cpu. Do that with the known good ps and ram.
    Hope this may help! Good luck!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Try pulling the CPU, and putting it back. I've heard people sugguest that, dunno if it works.
    edited June 2007
    I did everything that I can think of and it still isn't posting

-took out the cpu and put it back in.

-cleared the cmos

-kept 1 stick of ram in and switched it around the different slots

-unplugged everything except for hdd, ram, vid card, and cpu

-cleared cmos w/ cpu out

-unplugged every component and put it back in

So would a new bios chip probably solve this? This really sucks :(
    edited June 2007
    It might, but let's hope you have a flasher and another computer. Or you could just send your board back to who made it and say the bios corrupted, they might be nice and send you a new one/fix it.
    edited June 2007
    i doubt it. I've had this computer for a few years, so theres no way I'd be able to get a new mobo. I'll just call asus tomorrow and order a new bios chip. Thats pretty much the only other thing i can think of unless anyone here flashes chips.
    edited June 2007
    Unplug all the peripherals including the hdd. I had a pc crash a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't boot. Figured something died so I took the hdd and stuck in my pc to back-up the data. Guess what? My pc wouldn't boot. No post, no nothing. Turned out the hdd was toast.
    edited June 2007
    I have everything unplugged right now except for the power to the videocard, 1 stick of ram, and the cpu, and its still not posting. It just says "system failed cpu test"

I dont have another psu to test with, so my options are limited.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I think your CPU is bad.
    edited June 2007
    Could the cpu just randomly die like that? Its only about 2 1/2 years old. The computer only started not posting after I switched the hard drives, so its not like I took out the cpu or anything. Well i did take out the cpu, but only after it started acting weird and the only thing I did was take it out for a sec and then just put it back in. The computer was working perfectly up until I switched the hd.

I might as well get a new cpu, i mean the socket 754's are like $30 now.

do you think I would notice much of a difference between this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819104236
    and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103035
    edited June 2007
    I did like the venice when I owned one...
    edited June 2007
    I just want to be sure of the problem before I spend money, or at least narrow it down to a few parts. I'm sure its not the hard drives (tested with 4 different ones), or ram (tested with 2 different sticks).

how likely would it be that the processor just randomly dies after I take out a hard drive and put it back in?
    edited June 2007
    hmm any suggestions?
    edited June 2007
    I had a friend who killed a hard drive last night by changing the order it was in. He had a fit because I told him what I tell everyone else. "Computers may not have moving parts per say, but they have a higher chance of just outright dying than a car does after 500,000 miles without oil."
    edited June 2007
    It does seem strange a cpu dying like that. My experience has been that the mobo or power supply goes well before that, or together. Maybe take the chip to a repair shop for testing? Or take the box in and let them fiddle and diagnose the problem for you. You could end up buying a chip and finding out it was something else entirely.