SATA with Valuable Data Not Appearing After Reformat

edited June 2007 in Hardware
***SATA with Valuable Data Not Appearing In My Computer After Reformat

The drive is showing up in my ASUS A8N-E perfectly fine, i just updated the latest BIOS as well

I own both an IDE 160gb drive and a 500gb SATA Maxtor.
The other day i needed to reformat so i placed all my important data on the SATA drive and through the Windows XP Home CD cleaned the IDE and installed the fresh windows on that drive.
Everything on the computer works fine but my SATA drive does not appear in "My Computer". So it is as if there is no SATA drive and no data in it :o
Im able to go into "Computer Management" and then "Disk Management" and see "Disk 0" as my C drive with the windows installed on it. Then i see "Disk 1" there is a yellow ! sign next to it and it says Dynamic and Foreign as well. My only options for "Disk 1" is to "Convert to Basic Disk" which it claims would lose my data , i get the options "Properties" and "Help" as well... Usually they give an option for Import Foreign Discs but in this case i do not see it...

Any suggestions on how to get this SATA back up and running the way it was before with all original data???

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Did you update the BIOS before or after you put your data on the drive?
    Is the default CMOS setting for SATA RAID or IDE?

Sounds like Windows thinks it's a RAID volume...

All chipset drivers installed? (SATA not running as Standard PCI IDE Controller)
  • edited June 2007
    yes i have the most up to date chipset installed
    yes i updated bios to latest since ive recovered
    In device manager its showing up as NVIDIA nForce 4 Serial ATA Controller.. is that what you mean by "SATA not running as Standard PCI IDE Controller"???

i just checked my cmos and i see options for raid, i turned it on and when i went to disk management my sata drive didnt show up anymore... lol
    does that answer the question to " Is the default CMOS setting for SATA RAID or IDE?"??

in bios i see the following options i see:
    - hdd smart monitoring:disabled
    - Under First SATA MASTER i see options: - ext ide drive:auto/none - access mode:auto/large

i think i'll play with those options in the meanwhile
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    CMOS and Windows drivers seem to be setup ok...

Was XP Pro previously on this machine?
    What if the "Import Foreign Disk" option is not present.

If you right click on the foreign disk and the "Import Foreign Disk" is not present, this can happen because the dynamic disk was from a Windows XP Pro machine and the new machine has Windows XP Home installed. Windows XP Home cannot read dynamic disks as they do not have a normal partition table.

If this was the case you'll have to put the drive in an XP Pro machine, "Import Foreign Disk" and copy the data off so you can convert it back to Basic on the Home Machine.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    I'm not certain about this board, but if you reinstalled the OS, I must ask: Did you first pre-install the SATA/RAID drivers (press F6 on install CD boot and install the drivers before XP)?