Testdisk almost worked

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I've got an external USB hard drive here at work that I can no longer open in Windows ("the device could not be opened because of an I/O error"). Disk Management shows a blank in the column for file system (it's actually NTFS). Scandisk didn't help.

I ran Testdisk according to Thrax's guide, and it was able to ID the partition. I told it to write the partition info, restarted, but it still won't open up. I'm going to try to get the boss to buy GetDataBack, but is there anything else I can try in the meantime?

Thanks,
Garg.

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'd remove the drive from the USB case and plug it onto an IDE cable in a machine to do any work on it.

GetDataBack will work like a charm if the drive is not fried, Hopefully it's just the USB box causing your issue.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Run chkdsk /r on the drive.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thanks guys!
    troll wrote:
    I'd remove the drive from the USB case and plug it onto an IDE cable in a machine to do any work on it.

GetDataBack will work like a charm if the drive is not fried, Hopefully it's just the USB box causing your issue.

Unfortunately, it's a Maxtor branded disk/enclosure, not an enclosure that was bought empty and had a drive installed in it. It doesn't look like I can remove the drive.
    Thrax wrote:
    Run chkdsk /r on the drive.

I started running chkdsk /r before I left work today, and it found some errors right away. I thought Scandisk (with all the options checked) included chkdsk's functionality, but I guess not. We'll see in the morning how it worked :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    You can remove drive from the maxtor enclosures. Pop a few pics up and I can probably get you on your way; I've disassembled most of them.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Chkdsk worked! Ah, the sweet sound of accessible data. :thumbsup:

Backing things up now, before the drive gets moody again.