Overclocking 3800 X2 AM2! Problems :s

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hi there, am new to this forum and only know a little about the overclocking of the new AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processors...My specs are below, I bought this pc so that i could get a decent overclock..

- 3800 X2 @ 2.4GHZ (240*10) 1.25V
- Asus M2N-VM DH Motherboard
- 2GB DDR2 800MHZ @ 880MHZ
- POV 8800GTS 320MB @ 660/850
- 3x DVD DRIVES
- 300GB HDD AND 500GB HDD
- 400W PSU

My problem is that when i change the voltage in the bios..it boots but when i switch off and switch it back on the bios does not boot...i have to restart it then it boots with an error..i go into the bios and change the voltages back to normal...then i have to change the voltages back up so that it boots..its a bit complicated but it works...why does this happen:s ?

One other thing was i set my DDR2800 down to DDR2400,HTT Multi down to 4x (tried 3x aswel) and raised the FSB to 260..it boots fine..but when loading windows i get a blue screen...

My motherboard gives me the following options for the Vcore - AUTO/1.2/1.3
but which ever setting i choose I always get the 1.2V and it does not increase...

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Thank you hope to hear from someone soon

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    You might be pushing it just a wee hard..
  • edited June 2007
    You might be pushing it just a wee hard..

What you mean wee hard? People have overclocked this cpu to 2.5 easily...my temperatures are like 35c on load...I have the Freezer64 everything is good its just the voltages wont change...i think they are the reason i get the blue screen...not enough power?
    edited June 2007
    That might be it, since when you overclock it taxes the current on your PSU. Or so I've read (Everywhere)
  • edited June 2007
    I have a 450W PSU which is in my other computer that is not as powerful...Do you think changing my PSU would make a difference? And I have the 8800GTS which is a powerful card..I aint sure because it boots and everything only overclocking it is the problem...the temperatures are low which makes things better..just doesnt overclock as much...
    edited June 2007
    Well, amperage makes alot more of a difference than actual wattage. You need current to feed them so they can get power. The 8800GT* series require a power supply that has atleast 24 amps and 450W. I've got 35 and 500, and I can barely run an x1900GT along with my other stuff.
  • edited June 2007
    How do i find the amperage?
    edited June 2007
    It's on the sticker on the power supply. You need your 12V amperage numbers. Most modern power supplies have multiple 12v rails. Add the numbers up to get your total amperage.
  • edited June 2007
    Ok am just gona change the PSU...ill let you know what happens cheers mate thanks allot...ill probably be around 30minz or so...
    edited June 2007
    I'll be here smokin' cigars and watching Good Morning Vietnam.
  • edited June 2007
    I'll be here smokin' cigars and watching Good Morning Vietnam.

Hi there i changed the PSU i still cant get any higher voltages...the highest is 1.24V...this is shown in the bios and also shown in everest in windows...i d/c the DVD drives and am currently at 2.5 (250*10) and DDR2800 @ DDR2900 :eek:
  • edited June 2007
    The amperage for +12V is 20A and -12V is 0.8A .. I have two 12V rails...they both contain three 4-pin connectors but one has two 4pin connectors and one SATA connector...
    edited June 2007
    Well, does the sticker say 12V1 and 12V2?
  • edited June 2007
    I dont know...Well i can run it at 2.5GHZ...When i switch the pc off then i have to change the voltages again...dont know why...probably the motherboard? Thanks for your help though...laterz
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like you need to change your cmos battery if it's not remembering your voltages.