System Lag

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
What would lag a computer down if your barely using any CPU or memory? I am installing MechWarrior4 right now on my laptop(P-M 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, X700 Radeon Mobility) and not only is it taking quite a long time to install the game but my system is lagging when even just opening the Task Manager or right clicking for a menu, 10 second lag on that. Typing this message and browsing the web seems fine, no network usage or virus's or anything.

The best I can think of is an IRQ conflict maybe? Which I am sure as I just changed out the CD and during which my system was fine. Didn't ever see this on other games installing them, and I just installed Windows(dual boot with Ubuntu).

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I've seen it before with CD-ROM's on other systems and it's just plain annoying.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Might be bus saturation, I mean, it is a laptop.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I would reckon that your ROM's drive controller is stuck on PIO mode. Verify that it is not (Secondary IDE Channel in the dev. mgr), and if it is, remove all your drive controllers from device manager and restart your PC.