Best folder for $450?

edited June 2007 in Folding@Home
Okay....I'm looking to add another machine to the stable. It appears I can get a 60gb ps3 off ebay for about 450ish...is that the best thing I can buy/make for that price? I know they fold like demons.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    A core 2 duo system might actually fold a little bit better than a PS3. I'll let someone with more knowledge second my opinion
  • edited June 2007
    kk I'll wait. Also, why in the heck doesn't my new work (started again last night at like 10pm) show up on my records yet?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I would say a PS3 will own if you keep it folding when your not gaming... But in some cases a nice system with SMP client can fold around the same numbers as a PS3...

Also remember they are still making better cores for the PS3, so it will only get faster in time.
  • edited June 2007
    I don't know how much I'd play the ps3.....I love XBL too much
  • edited June 2007
    For comparison's sake, here is a dual core C2D build using an E6320 (4 MB L2 cache) proc. This is without case or operating system. You can use Ubuntu 64 bit for the OS and the Linux SMP client to fold with. With some judicious overclocking you can easily expect well over 1,000 ppd average with this setup.

Intel E6320 1.86 GHz processor with Biostar Tforce 965 mobo package from Newegg: $260.49
    OCZ 2 X 512 MB DDR2-800, Model #OCZ2P8001GK, $51.99
    BIOSTAR V6202EL63 GeForce 6200 LE 64MB PCI-e X16 video card, $32.99
    Rosewill RP500-2 ATX 2.01 500W Power Supply, good review on the psu by madmat here, $49.99

Subtotal: $395.46
    Shipping: $12.84

Grand Total: $408.30

This also leaves you with a little money for either a cheap case or a dvd drive and still stay in your $450 budget.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    A X1950 pro will pwn the ps3's cell at folding.

Graphics cards are the future of folding at home.

edit:
    Low priced X1950

edit:

A quote for the main reason why from Standford
    It seems that the PS3 is more than 10X powerful as an average PC. Why doesn't it get 10X PPD as well?
    We balance the points based on both speed and the flexibility of the client. The GPU client is still the fastest, but it is the least flexible and can only run a very, very limited set of WU's. Thus, its points are not linearly proportional to the speed increase. The PS3 takes the middle ground between GPU's (extreme speed, but at limited types of WU's) and CPU's (less speed, but more flexibility in types of WU's). We have picked the PS3 as the natural benchmark machine for PS3 calculations and set its points per day to 900 to reflect this middle ground between speed (faster than CPU, but slower than GPU) and flexibility (more flexible than GPU, less than CPU).
  • edited June 2007
    Are those X1950's crossfire okay? I'm looking at maybe upgrading after the C2D pricedrop, and I might grab a couple of those too while I'm at it.
  • edited June 2007
    Actually, I did some gpu folding with an X1950 pro and while it did around 750-800 ppd, it was nowhere near what a C2D rig running the SMP client can do. The biggest drawback to the gpu client is the fact that it ties up 1 cpu core just to run the gpu client. Of course that was the way things were when I last was folding with either the gpu or smp clients. But now if you were looking to upgrade a single core computer for the best bang for your buck folding wu return, the addition of a X1950 Pro or better card would give you a much better wu and points return than the regular old single folding client. Stanford has pretty much crapped on everyone that is still running the old regular folding client by giving a much better point return on their new toys like the gpu client, ps3 client and smp clients. :rolleyes2
  • edited June 2007
    When the price drop hits, I think I may grab a new mobo, cpu, and ram and throw on my old video card (x700 256mb pcix16) and hdd. Then I'll grab a cheap case and throw in the old 939 setup , but with a cheap dual core instead.

Does anyone know how substantial the drop is going to be?
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2007
    Just further proof that PS3s aren't as good points wise as an SMP Core 2 Duo. SM25 is running an E6300 at just under 3GHz, and even with her reboot issues she is still pulling more points than IcronticHQ. Granted I'm not sure how consistent ICHQ is, but even at the PS3's maximum 900 points per day, it can't touch a heavily overclocked E6300 on SMP. If you can snag a C2D and push it up to 3GHz, you can easily snag well over 1000 points per day.

~FA
  • edited June 2007
    By heavily overclocked...what are we talking here? I'm looking to not water cool this at all.
    edited June 2007
    Oh totally air cooled. You can run an E6300 @ 3GHz on stock air cooling. 52c should be your top end temp.

~FA
  • edited June 2007
    SWEEEEEET. That's amazing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    IcronticHQ hasn't been very consistent at all during the LAN :p
  • edited June 2007
    I wonder why prime?
    edited June 2007
    IcronticHQ hasn't been very consistent at all during the LAN :p

I figured that to be the case. :p