Line Art

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Internet & Media
http://www.fusion-dm.net/sketches/Tank001jpeg.jpg

OK this may be a newb question, but just how do I get this image to become "LineArt"? I cleaned it up a bit from the original hand sketch, but from what I have seen on the net, they have had thiers being very sharp.

WTF? I used Curves, Ajustment Levels and some other techniques, but nothing worked for this image. I used a sharpie to outline it too. Scanned at 600dpi, greyscale and I even tried black and white, even used my built in curves to work with it some before I scanned.

I know it is something simple, and becuase of lack of experience thus far with PS, I haven't figured it out, anyone help?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    RWB had this to say
    Scanned at 600dpi, greyscale

There's your problem..

When scanning line art, you scan purely in B/W or line art or text mode only - NO GREYSCALE... Scan as high as you possibly can, 1200dpi +

in photoshop, it will look jaggy on screen sometimes, you cannot and should not adjust and curves or anything, as those adjustments will only work on greyscale. But if you print it out, you will have an exact replica.

Also, note the file size: The file may be huge, dozens of megs or whatever, but if you save as LZH TIFF it will be VERY small, as 2-bit (Black and white) images compress very very tightly.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    Ok, this is a noob question: What is LineArt? Art made up of just lines, or what?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    a2jfreak had this to say
    Ok, this is a noob question: What is LineArt? Art made up of just lines, or what?

Pretty much. Like wireframe.

NS
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/index.htm

Been using this site for many hours now reading his tutorials, I meant to include it in my original post, but I closed my browser for some reason. It shows lineart pretty well.

I have been pouring over my Anime collection looking through the features on the DVD's and on the Cowboy Bebop DVD I saw pretty well how they animated their characters, hehe, pretty simple in theory, but damnit I am having fun trying to make my own ;)

Paper, Pencil, then retraced by a SHARPIE, the same one I am using ;) Just on bigger paper, which I have some of :) But right now I must get visual understanding of what I need and make a story board. Ok this post has mostly been to help me out lol, damn I should sleep, but I want to continue working with some small short breaks... ok I shut up now.