G5 Weight tuning?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I just got this Logitech G5 mouse, and I am curious if this weight tuning gimmick actually does anything for anyone else who has it? There's no manual on how it works either so I am googling for that, but I want actual people to say if they thing it's useful or not.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Just screw with it. I like my mouse to have some heft to it. Put in all the heavy weights and try the mouse. Then take all the weights out and use it. See what you like the most and then tweak it from there.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I do 6 1.7g's and 2 4.5g's in the middle...happy balance.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I happened upon a setup I like putting all the weight towards the left side of the mouse which is actually quite nice. I really notice the difference.

I have a couple problems with the mouse, I wish it has more buttons and I would like the scroll button to be easier to push. I mean I have to give it some weight to get it to press which isn't very elegant.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    there is a difference. in my opinion and i have the g5 since i bought it for over a year, for graphics apps like photoshop i use the entire capacity for heavy weights (all filled with black) and it gives me precise control under the lowest resolution setting. with gaming, i fill it with all white so it moves easier. with windows i remove the pack altogether because the movements in windows don't demand alot of precision. i found that the weights are actually very helpful. too helpful i should say.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I just replaced my old faithful MX518 with the G5 Lazer about a month ago.
    I absolutely hated it! I kept overshooting the mark with the cursor and it just seemed to have a mind of it's own. I was getting cramps in my hand and a pain in my arm just trying to keep the mouse in check.

I tried different weight settings, DPI settings, nothing worked. I finally figured out to change the setting from OS implementation to SetPoint implementation. What a differnce. I'm still battling to get used to the change from optical to lazer. I tend to pick my mouse up a lot while I'm using it and the lazer isn't too fond of that. That habit also makes it difficult to put too much weight in it. I get a tricep workout at the same time.

So for me the G5 is not top of my list of favourite pointing devices. I'm glad we have a thread like this because I also searched for advice on settings and weight and found squat.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    All - 4.5g's for me :)

Also Winga you do know you can adjust the speed of the pointer from the mouse?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Also Winga you do know you can adjust the speed of the pointer from the mouse?

Yea I suppose that's one of the selling points of these mice...to be able to change the dpi on the fly. I had the speed set all over the place from 2000 all the way down to 400. Until I discovered and changed that one option, I fought with the damn thing every day. I'm starting to get used to it now. It's growing on me :)