Core Duo 1.83GHz vs Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I've googled and can't seem to find much info.
Is there a noticible increase in performance going from the CD to the C2D, specifically in a laptop?

Comments

• Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2007
    The boys at AnandTech did a comparison last year. Here's the link:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808

Seems that core 2 duo > core duo. Read through it and see which one suits your needs better.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    If you stick with the same speed, not really, a few %.
    The real advantage with C2D is that you can move to larger cache, faster memory, and faster CPU.
    My daughter has a lappy with a 2.0GHz CD, and 2GB 667 memory, my desktop C2D at 2.2GHz with 2GB 800 is enough faster to notice. I have run limited tests, I am estimating that it is 25%. I know that a part of that is the chip set (965 vs 945). I tried to avoid drive sensitive tests since mine are much faster.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Also, I think all the Core Duo are 32-bit and all the Core 2 Duo are 64-bit. I may be wrong tho.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Mason you are correct the C2D is 64 bit ready and the CD is not. Also Edcentric is right about the FSB & Cache "4MB instead of 2MB" but performance wise I think the max difference between the 2 CPU's is about 5% to 12% not much more...
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    ok, I was just wondering if it's worth ripping apart 2 laptops to upgrade mine, but if it's not a huge deal, I'm not going to bother.

Thanks guys.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    well in most cases, if it is a HP, Acer, Emachine, Toshiba, Gateway or any other low level brands than no... Most Dells and ASUS, Alienware and brands of that state have easy access to the CPU's, and they could be upgradeable.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    they're both dell inspiron 6400's. I checked out the service manuals, and they seemed fairly straight forward. We'll have to see how lazy I am next week.