Help with new system build...

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
been out of the loop for a long time:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5392792&WishListTitle=blah

a couple things to note:
$30 rebate on the raptor
$60 rebate on the RAM
$25 rebate on the PSU
$30 rebate on the video card
Also, there's a thermalright ultra-120 extreme that's a combo deal and can't be shown on the wish list.

I'm just buying that processor to fuss around with until the quads drop in price.

I'm really interested on opinions about 2 or 4 GB of ram, and the anyone's experience with that memory.
Also, whether or not a raptor is worth the high $/gb cost.

<3

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I ran one of the early Raptors, unless you are really a speed freak I wouldn't bother. There are a lot of good drives (500GB 10.7200) that aren't much slower.

What about faster memory. I can't find the link right now, but hasn't Anandtech run some memory overclocks on P35 mobos?

With you HSF you may be pleased with how fast that puppy will run.
  • edited June 2007
    Here's a review of the OCZ GameXstream 700W which is pretty darn comprehensive and it shows the same problem as most psu's based on the FSP Epsilon power supplies in the 600+ watt ranges with pretty bad ripple. For the amount of money (even though it has a rebate) I would look for something more stable in ripple. If it were me, I'd buy this Corsair CMPSU-620HX psu. Newegg is also raping you on the price too, since ZZF is selling the same psu for $146.90 instead of $169.99 and has the same $20 rebate as Newegg. Newegg will screw you in a heartbeat lately on popular items I find.:mad: BTW, here's a Corsair Review on [H] and another on jonnyGURU on the Corsair. Both found it to be an excellent Seasonic built psu. BTW, I do own one of these Corsair psu's and find it to be an excellent psu also.

For the ram, I haven't read or heard anything about the Geil you chose. But I would go with this Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 kit for $114.99 and has a $45 rebate. It uses the legendary Micron D9 GMH chips on their ram, which are known for both overclocking and running tight timings.

The baby C2D looks like a good placeholder until the quads come down in price in a month or so and you can use it to build another boxen later. :thumbsup:

The mobo is a great choice, but I am intrigued buy his slightly cheaper brother, the GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R, mainly because it overclocks nearly as well as the DQ6 and it has 4-DDR2 slots plus 2-DDR3 slots too.:cool: I just read a review this morning and it looked damn good. I think that with the bad Asus board I need to RMA back to Newegg I am just going to get a refund and eat the 15% charge if they want it and buy that board as a replacement when I do my next build.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    By the time DDR3 is a viable platform, vastly more capable motherboards and chipsets will be available. I strongly suggest you stick with a more full-featured DDR2 motherboard, rather than accepting cut corners on a DDR2/3 hybrid board.

Your chip is fine to screw around with, the HSF you've chosen is great, but indeed that particular PSU isn't great. Something from HiPer, or the Corsair PSU muddockter linked would be a better buy. Also, Crucial's Ballistix has a better chance of using the super-fantastic Micron ICs that are used in today's PC8000, 8500 and 9600 RAM. Ryder might be able to drop in and report on their offerings in the DDR800 category that use Micron ICs as well. OCZ offers a much better warranty AND endorses overclocking.
  • edited June 2007
    The DQ6 board is better, no doubt about it. But do you need the extra features of it compared to the DS3R just for the little extra overclocking headroom? And if you don't want the extra DDR3 ram slots, there is the cheaper vesrion that still has the Intel matrix raid for even less. The P35/P35S DS3R series look to be a real "Bang for the buck" set of boards, just like the p965 DS3 boards were.

Here's on ongoing thread at OCForums on the P35-DS3R (the cheap one without DDR3) and it's looking damn promising with a QX6700 in it Looks like it has no problems running his Q67 at 400 X 8 with no problems, which is hard to do with a p965 board.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Another take on the mobos from http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3020

If it were me, I would go with the DDR2 also. The X38 will be out by then and DDR3 prices and timings should be down.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    ended up picking up a 500 GB hd instead of the raptor, the crucial RAM, and the corsair psu from zzf.

now on to monitor shopping...
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Do what I want to do. Get a big friggin' Tv.