8mm to digital, How do I ...

JustinJustin Atlanta
edited November 2003 in Internet & Media
Hi everybody! Does anybody know how to take an 8mm video cassette and get it onto a computer so that it can be digitized and edited? I am wanting to make a DVD to send to my family and I think I need a little help....

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    If the 8mm camera has a firewire port then use that, but if it only has RCA connections or something for it's video out, then you would need either a converter to turn those connections into firewire or a card in your system that can take it also.

The converter, may or may not exist, but there are video cards out there that allow you to bring in the video from another source.

Most cards have only Video OUT, for your TV or whatever, but I think the Radeon AIW have Video In through coaxle cable. I may be wrong though, I haven't ever tried what you are asking. Not yet at least :)
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited November 2003
    how much are you willing to spend? There are cards out there that can take the input. Or else, an elaborate system of cables will suffice (with image quality as an expense).

What kind of outs do you have on your camcorder?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited November 2003
    The main out is a 3/16 jack. I have the wire that goes from 3/16 male to RCA male (one audio/one video). I am looking at getting a new graphics card for other purposes, should I find one that will let me input there or should I get an additional PCI for this purpose? I am looking to stay budget concious but, this is a rather important function of this particular PC.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I think I would get a good PCI or AGP card built specifically for the purpose of bringing in the video from a device like your's.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited November 2003
    If you want to do any serious amount of editing, then you may want to invest in a good video capture card (ie, not an All-In-Wonder VGA card with video in) and some good editing software.

MediaMan did a great review of the Matrox RT.X10 Xtra which comes bundled with Adobe Premiere. I tried to link it here, but for some reason it is not coming up...a glitch on the articles page, perhaps?

There is a current thread going regard video editing software.

Dexter...

///edit: Here is the Matrox RT X10 Xtra Review.
  • edited November 2003
    canopus advc1394 or advc100 is probably something worth investing in since you will have lots of analog to digital needs.

Read up on which better fits your needs. Newegg sells it so they have good pics of the I/O ports.