HDD Access Rights?

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

One of my hard drives, a 200GB Samsung, is unable to be defragmented, written to its root folder or have its label changed. I have left it a while now, because until now it hasnt really bothered me, but its level of fragmentation is seriously effecting performance now. Is there any way I can reset rights or access permissions on it? Help would be greatly appreciated.

I have uploaded screenshots of my problem.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance. ;)
Always had great help from you guys.

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Have you tried to access your drive in safe mode?
    Have you checked that no program is keeping the drive locked?

Grtz
  • edited June 2007
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'll try that and get back to you. And how would I check if something is keeping the drive locked?

Thanks in advance.
  • edited June 2007
    Tried your advice, but to no avail. Drive is still untouchable in safe mode, and there are no programs restricting access.

Anybody got an ideas?
  • edited June 2007
    Some drives can be locked using a jumper setting. Have you checked this?
    And if it is a problem of windows, a differnet OS should be able to read it. You can use for example knoppix to try to read it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    If this is a problem that just started happening I would doubt that the drive got locked via jumper settings (unless of course you've been monkeying around).

Do you have administrative rights for that drive, which is to say is your user an administrator for that machine or do you have a seperate administrator account that you setup? Also have you been playing around with any partitioning software or dual booting with linux. Partitioning software can, on occasion, screw up the ownership of a drive/partition and disassociate it from the administrative account. I've always been to lazy to try and repair and so I've just fdisked the drive through dos.

If you've been playing with it in linux and changed anything with the root user then those partitions/files will be tied to the user account and a windows admin can't touch them. In which case you'd have to repair the permissions through linux.
  • edited July 2007
    Hmm, I have been mucking around in linux before, but I dont think that I changed any permissions of anything at all in there. Changing the access rights with an administrator account sounds possible, because I used to use the windows Administrator account as my account a while back, but then that would mean I would have been able to access it in safemode when I tried the above advice wouldn't it?

So, if it were because of linux, how would I go about resolving this problem? I used Ubuntu linux when it might have happened, but I know basically nothng about linux anyway, so I'm gonna need some pretty good instructions.

Thanks in advance.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    Now the only way to muck it up through linux would be if you were dual booting between linux and windows and were accessing that drive through linux on the same or possible a different machine. You would then have had to issue change ownership commands either in shell through chown or through the gui and purposelessly changed the owner and user to root.