Wireless Router Needed!

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited July 2007 in Hardware
just got myself a new laptop and i now need to get myself a wireless router

the two primary reasons are to:-

Share the internet connection
Transfer files regularly over the network

anything else is a bonus really

i need something reliable that isnt too hard to configure but i would like it to be compatible with and get along with all my p2p software and stuff

im in england also so if anyone finds stuff with a uk e-tailer that would be great

thanks in advance!:smiles:

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I have gone through many routers.

The only one I would recommend is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833135113

Signal is great and it can usually handle lots of traffic. Power cycling is minimal.

Cheers
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited June 2007
    nice one jared

anybody else got any suggestions or has used the one that jared posted?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    A Linksys WRT54GL or a buffalo whr-G54S flashed with DD-WRT.

If your doing p2p this is the best choice anything else will be underpowered. (Unless you use a computer powered by a linux firewall/router distribution, Thats always the best choice but it uses the most power.) .

edit: A link to a wrt54GL on overclockers.co.uk
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    I'm partial to the Linksys WRT54G series of routers but prefer the Tomato firmware over the stock and DD-WRT firmwares.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'm partial to the Linksys. Mine has performed flawlessly.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    WRT54G with DDWRT is very nice.... mine would still be working had I not broke it :P
    edited June 2007
    by the way guys im on adsl
    edited June 2007
    also do i need a wireless card for my desktop pc?

the router will only ever be a short distance away from the desktop so can i just connect it to the network port and use it like that. then just use the wireless with my laptop?
    edited June 2007
    in case you hadnt noticed i know sweet f&%k all about networking :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yes, if your router is going to be right there, you can just plug it in with a short patch cable.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2007
    I'm on Virgin (ntl) and I use a Linksys WRT54G. We have 2 PCs wired, 1 wireless PC, 1 wireless laptop and PS2 and Xbox 360 wireless. An updated firmware gives me QOS options and this router has been brilliant.
    Micro Direct is your friend. http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?n=7,21&n=406
  • slugbugslugbug Canada
    edited July 2007
    Another vote for the Linksys WRT54GL :)
    edited July 2007
    Just a sidenote the WRT54G v4 was renamed to the Wrt54GL .And the current WRT54G is crap and runs vxworks.

It has half the ram and a slower cpu its os (VXWORKS) is horrible and unstable with heavy p2p traffic its not suited for p2p. The WRT54G v5 and up are really lousy routers.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    Totally. I've got an older WRT54GX4, and with some firmware updates, it actually works more than half the time.
    edited July 2007
    ok so any suggestions for routers that arent gonna be fighting with my p2p programs?
    edited July 2007
    Linksys WRT54GL or Almost anything from buffalo with DD-WRT flashed on them.
    edited July 2007
    ok i now have a wrt54gl and am having trouble

how do i set it up?

it says to plug my broadband modem into the internet port but my modem is a usb modem and doesnt connect like that

am i meant to plug this internet port directly to the phoneline?

im so confused and i really wanna play xbox live!

i also want to connect my laptop to this network and make it secure

if i need any cables then please let me know as i need to go to pc world in the next hour and a half if that is the case!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited July 2007
    You are probably going to have to ask you DSL company to provide you with an ethernet modem instead of a USB modem so you can connect it to the router
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    You are one of ~8 people on earth with a USB cable modem; they don't really make routers for that.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Are you sure your modem doesn't have both USB AND ethernet? I've rarely ever seen modems that are strictly USB.
    edited July 2007
    my modem is definitely strictly usb

is there anyway i can network this computer and the others if only for file sharing purposes?

the wizard doesnt seem to work because i dont have the internet plugged into the router

i get to where it says 'check that the internet, power and one of the ethernet ports lights are lit up'

then i hit next and it asks for a password (which im not sure i have but from what i understand the default is 'admin')

anybody know how to set this router up properly?

there was very little documentation provided but i know a few people here have the same router

i should have bought one with a modem built in!!!!
    edited July 2007
    IPcop supports most usb modems.

And theres some hacks for dd-wrt that are more trouble then there worth that add support (If your router has usb).
    edited July 2007
    how would i use IPcop?