Extreme motherboard temps (Striker Extreme)

abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

I just my new C2D system together yesterday:

Asus Striker Extreme
C2D E4300
2GB Crucial Ballistix
8800GTS 320MB

Used some old parts:

520W OCZ Powerstream PSU
1x 160GB 1x 250GB SATA Drives
Pioneer DVR-111L

The problem is when I start the pc, BIOS and Everest displays motherboard temp as -55 Degrees then Asus pc probe displays motherboard temp as 201 degrees

:wtf:

I just using the stock cooler on the CPU till I get my WC gear.

The sinks on the north and south bridge are cool to the touch during ORTHOS. And the motherboard temps never change whether idle or load. CPU temp seems accurate with Core Temp 0.95.

Someone tell me WTF is going here!!!

Thanks in advance

EDIT//

The pic is taken at 3GHz IDLE with all stock volts

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    looks like a borked temp monitor...
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited June 2007
    Yeah. I think so. But why would it display 2 totally different temps, the difference being more than 250 degrees?

At one time I saw the BIOS and everest show 127 degrees, but probe always shows 201 degrees.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Because the sensor sucks, or it's reading from the wrong address. My CPU sensor on my board jumps from 34 to 50 for no reason, then right back down, so I just turned trip temp off, since my processor says it doesn't get over 38.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited June 2007
    So you think I should just RMA it then? It's only like a day old.
    edited June 2007
    Nah. It's not gonna cause a problem, it's just gonna annoy your arse off. Just disable that readout.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited June 2007
    So where is the temp for the motherboard actually read from? If I knew I could measure the temps myself, somehow.

What i''m worried about though is that the heatpipes are cool to the touch even under load. Does this mean that there is a poor connection between the NB/SB and the heatpipes? Or don't they get that hot anyway?

Thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Update the BIOS.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited June 2007
    Already tried it. Updated from 1102 to 1202. Still no luck.
    edited June 2007
    Dude, it's not a big problem. You act like if you can't fix it the end of the world will come about.
  • edited July 2007
    My mobo got about 3 temp sensors in it... all within a 10 cm range. However, one has a continuous readout of -120, another one of continuous 255... only one gives the correct readout of about 40.

This is no big deal, because these sensors are not tested before put to use.