Western Digital My Book firewire port dead after a few hours!

godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Heh. I haven't had one of these for 12 hours yet and the Firewire port on it has decided to completely stop working. (This is the 250GB version) The USB 2 port is still active, but that's useless on the laptop which doesn't have them.

It worked for a few hours on the laptop, then I moved it over to the other computer, USB first for drivers and stuff as per instructions... switch to Firewire which resulted in a miscellany of system hangs before it finally stopped doing anything.

I've had a generic Firewire/USB 2 enclosure for about 4 years and it never acts up. (There's a Seagate 250GB and Lite-On 16x DVD burner in it)

That leads me to wonder. While the Firewire in both units is Oxford, This WD implementation seems to be causing enough problems to warrant a class action.

This is odd to me since I've had a WD Scorpio in my oven-hot laptop since not long after those came out and it's succeeded where the Travelstars have failed.

I'm taking it back later today after I wipe my data from it. Should I do an exchange for another one of these, pick up a NAS box or just give up and buy the raw parts from Newegg and put together another one? (This large electronics superstore has PLENTY of USB 2.0 [expletive withheld] but just this WD external and a couple of bigger models in Firewire)