Press power button == Perpetual restart

edited July 2007 in Hardware
When I press the power button my machine will continously restart itself, nothing comes up on the display - the power seems to come in for a few sec and off and the on again.

I thought my power button was dead so I tried unplugging the power wire and powering the pc myself by using a screwdriver to force contact at the pin but the same problem occur.

PC will power on normally when the CMOS battery is removed and when the power cord is plugged back manually but pressing power button will send it back to perpetual restart state.

I suspect CMOS battery failure.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    1. lose cable connection
    2. broken psu
    3. battery failure

any of those could cause it :)
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Dead cmos battery will just take you to the bios screen to reset your date/time/settings.
    Make sure your cables are all tight in place, and in the correct orientation (not backwards).
    Check to see if your ram is properly secured.
    Check your power supply voltages.

Tell us more about the system and what led to this experience. New? Old? Just added something?
  • edited July 2007
    IndigoRed wrote:
    Tell us more about the system and what led to this experience. New? Old? Just added something?

It's an old system, I replaced the processor watercooler with the normal fan that came with it then problem started. The problem could be link to the replacement but as I told you, I can boot into windows with the battery removed. However any attempt to restart from windows will also cause perpetual restart.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Well may as well try replacing the battery to start. Cheapest option. May have corroded instead of just died... Let's see after that.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    please post all of your system specs
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2007
    It's not one of those Bios settings that check fan speed? If you've changed it then the problem started? maybe?