TV picture too dark

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I dunno if this is the right place to post, but I'm out of ideas. I recently got a tv from a friend cause he got a new one. It works well and everything, but the picture is too dark even with the brightness maxed. Low-light images are hard to see (my problem is that it can become unplayable.) The problem remains across different RCA inputs but I haven't been able to try component yet.

Does anyone have any ideas? The tv in question is a JVC AV 27320 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Dark picture on a tube Television usually means a power issue. Either the tube is getting old and it's not drawing power properly, or the television's power supply is crapping out.

If it's the tube, it's proly not worth fixing, but if it's the power supply, you can just take it to an authorized JVC repair shop, and they can fix that up rather cheap (depending on the place, of course).

The easiest way t tell is to check if drawing more power causes the issue to get worse, for example: Does turning the volume all the way up (on the included internal speakers) make the problem worse? If so, then it's likely the power supply.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Agreement with above diagnostics:cool:
    I have the same problem with a RCA Colortrack 2000 that a cable guy who previously worked has a Tv repairman said the tube "was on its way out" to celluloid heaven.
    Granted I have been using it sparingly but has lasted a year since then. Picture became brighter(slightly) when I switched from cable to satellite.
    I also saw something online about your tv having a service mode - that has a brightness control - did you try that?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the info. How much would you expect a new power supply to cost?