Help with my Website, im new at this

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Internet & Media
Ok ive just created a Website for my band. Its pretty much the first website ive made. I payed for hosting at hostultra.com (obviously the first time ive used payed hosting) its a bit confuseing. The site is up... but i want to make an intro for it.

I don't know if ill make it a flash (seeing as im new at flash).
but even if i make it an image or whatever..... i have no clue how to set it up

I will have no problem making the image myself, because i love photoshop and im pretty good with it. but i dont know how to set up the page or where to put it.

On my hosting site, if i go to file manager, all my pages (index.html, media.html) are all in a folder called (public html).

My domain is www.closerenemies.com but i wanted to set it up to where you type in "www.closerenemies.com" and it takes you to the intro, but i dont really know how

can anyone help me please?:D:D:D:D:D:D

thanks a lot in advance,
Tsnare

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    OK, step one: rename "index.html" - I'll use "band.html" as an example. The name doesn't matter. Any links to "index.html" should be changed to "band.html".

Step two: Make a new index.html - this will be your splash page. When it's done, have it forward them to "band.html".

Personally, I recommend against a splash page. People generally find them annoying. At the very least, provide a way to skip it if it's an animation. If I can't find the "skip" link on a splash page, I just close the whole thing and move on.

If you need some more technical help with the finer points of making the actual splash page, I could point you in the right direction. If you're going to be doing a bunch with the site, I could recommend a couple books you might find very valuable. (I feel like one of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books now... To DUEL the Bad Guy, turn to page 124.)
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Hey, thanks a lot

that makes everything much easier. pretty obvious now that i think of it.

Well I think i can do the intro myself, but I would be intrested in those books..... sounds like I could get some info out of them:D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    If you're totally green to web pages and not really sure where to start: Creating a Web Page with HTML (Visual Quickstart)

If you're feeling a little sassier than "total greenhorn": Visual Quickstart for HTML, XHTML, and CSS

These kids today. They start off making their band a site, then pretty soon they're into the hard stuff like PHP scripting and databases :shakehead

:D
    edited July 2007
    Lol , thanks a lot :)
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    The site looks pretty nice. I like the look and feel. The first thing I would start working on is a uniform look for IE and Firefox. If you're appealing to the MySpace crowd, you're going to be going for a larger IE base.

Lots of people do use MySQL with PHP as Keebs points out. However, I've found that most semi static content can be placed in XML files. (Best used with PHP5 as PHP4 and XML is yuckie.) They load faster and don't require a database. As a good example, I've been working on a website for a restaurant and the menu items, and a language module I'm creating, are all placed in XML.

EDIT: One other thing. Sign up for Google Analytics and embed it in your pages. It'll help you know how popular your site is, where your traffic is coming from, and other important facts of information. Make sure you keep an eye on keywords as you'll know what searches are leading to your site.

It's not as powerful as Omniture's SiteCatalyst (I get to use it for free because I work there) however, it does a good job on the basics.
    edited July 2007
    Hey BluKnight, Thanks for the tips.....

that google analytics sounds good..... I think im gonna use that....

Im trying to make everything look just as good in IE but it never looks 100% for me lol.

And about the coding, I get what your saying a little. Im not very good with coding though lol. Although I do use dreamweaver, it makes everything a lot easier:)

Thanks a lot
  • edited July 2007
    Not trying to be nitpicky...but you may consider spellchecking your site....
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Not the kinda post you were looking for, but I must say your song "nothing" rocks xD Love the quick beat. *head bangs* :P Good luck with your site and your band.
    edited July 2007
    Hey Harudath, thank's a lot :D
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Learning web development myself - so my advice won't help much !!

I do hope the site works out
    Up the Irons!
    :Rocker::rockon: