Any advice for changing over laptop HDD?

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hi there,
I am trying to replace the hard drive in an "Acer extensa 2000" laptop. I have had no luck googling. I can see the back of the HDD case when I remove the battery unit and it has a small clear plastic tab on it, however, this is as far as I can get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
Cheers,
B

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Advice: Keep very careful track of each screw and exactly where it went. Draw yourself a little diagram if needed.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited July 2007
    Good advice, thanks for that.
    I ended up purchasing the Service Manual for a couple of bucks off the internet. In case anyone else ever has the same problem, I have found out that all you need to do to remove this particular HDD is to remove the battery which will reveal the back of the HDD. The back of the HDD has a small plastic tab on it which you need to pull towards you to dislodge the hard drive. The HDD is installed firmly so don't be suprised if it feels as though it will never come out. I found that a rubber glove (of all things) gave me enough grip on the tab to pull it out.
    Once you have removed the hard drive, it will be in it's enclosure still so simply unscrew the two little screws that hold the HDD in its enclosure and replace with your new HDD.
    I hope this helps someone down the track.