Looking for SMC Vista drivers

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Science & Tech
I've got a few SMC wireless PCI cards which won't work with Vista.
The official site hasn't bothered to provide Vista drivers yet so I was hoping someone here knew of an alternative place where I could find one.

The particular device is a WLAN PCI Adapter model No. SMCWPCI-G part number 99-012084-454

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    What is the chipset for the card?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Atheros

The markings on the chip is very hard to make out but it looks like:
    AR2413A-00
    B14596B
    edited July 2007
    http://ud-pc.com/down/driver/2007-5-18/atheros_ar5005g_driver.htm

Supposedly these include support for the AR2413A chipset, and will work on Vista. I'll keep looking.
    edited July 2007
    Driver worked perfectly Thanks :thumbsup:
    Sorted in record time :rarr:

Now go get some sleep!
    edited July 2007
    I don't sleep. There are PCs to be fixed! Drivers to find! Issues to solve! Users to save!
    edited July 2007
    Thrax just a bit of feedback on the driver you sourced for me. I swear it's on steroids or something. My signal strength across the network has gone from good to excellent and there is no delay opening folders or downloading files on the network, which I was experiencing using the actual SMC drivers that came with the cards.

I am so stoked. Thanks Man!!111
  • edited July 2008
    "The folder you have selected does not contain a valid driver for Windows Vista 64-bit"

This driver does not work with 64-bit vista.

I know... in general it's bad forum etiquette to dig up old posts, but... this is the only one i can find about this chipset on the forums.

I have a "Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card" which is a PCI-based card for wireless-G. I know it's not the SMC card originally mentioned, but it has an Atheros chipset on it with the number "AR2413A-00" on it, so i'm assuming like other devices i have in the past, just find a driver for the chipset it's self and it should work, typically.

If ya can get any replies about this, i'd be interested in testing it :)
    Also, going to keep searching the inter-webs and if i find anything that works i'll post here.
  • edited July 2008
    SUCCESS!!

After A LOT of digging through google, i found some odd wireless card based on this same chipset, and the driver listed for this product here:

http://www.sweex.com/producten.php?sectie=&subsectie=&item=65&artikel=718&detail=d

WORKS on vista 64-bit for chipset "AR2413A-00"!!!

What you have to do, is goto device manager for the device, update driver, chose a driver from my computer, "have disk" and then browse to the folder.

Download the driver, extract it into a folder on like a usb flash drive or something, then browse to it in the have disk dialog.

I don't know if this driver is digitally signed, or not, because i have that driver signing BS disabled on my vista-64 computer.

Enjoy!
  • edited October 2009
    Hi really sorry to dig up this morbidly deceased thread, but the links provided are now dead, I had a virus on my machine and wiped it and now I cannot find the right driver.
    Same chipset, vista 64bit.
    The actual card is a Belkin F5D7000 E incase that helps at all.
    Thanks and sorry for reviving this dead thread.
    Regards, Louis.
  • edited October 2009
    Yeah i hope they don't ban us for recovering old threads because this one is.. very difficult to come up with drivers for, because belkin's drivers they do provide don't actually you know, WORK, and they won't reply to support requests either, so we're SOL if we have one of these.

Basicly just look at the little black chip on your card, write down the numbers, which if you're replying to this thread is likely "AR2413A". just gogole for "AR2413A driver vista download" and try every single last driver you find, even if it's for like, a pcmcia card, or something totally not what you have, it's the chipset you need the driver for, not the card it's self.

This is what i did and i eventually found that driver. The other solution would be just buy a linksys, their drivers always work :D
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the reply, I have tried all the links there's only one link to a driver but that's on bioticindia and I have idea what that is and do not have privileges.
    I certainly about ready to get rid of that card, but I know there is a driver out there that works as I have had it working before it got a hideous bomb of viruses.
    I can't remember what the old driver is but I must have tried more this time than last!
  • edited October 2009
    I don't actually use these cards in any of my computers anymore, sorry. So i can't find/try drivers for you.

I still have the cards, two of em, it's just all my computers that can run vista run 7 now, and don't need wireless anyway, my dual core's a permanent file server, can't be rebooted to install anything, ever. My intel I7's using 3 video cards and can't use any pci slots, etc.

Only other computer i have is a old Pentium3 that can't run vista. So.. sorry, but good luck googling :mad: