Which geforce?

edited July 2007 in Hardware
I've got an ABIT AN7 and I want a geforce graphics card. Which is the best? And also, are geforce quadros any better than the normal ones?:confused:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    The ATi Radeon X1950 Pro for AGP is, by far, the best AGP video card available. I know you said "GeForce," however they're just not the best cards for the slot you're looking to fill.

Quadros aren't "Better," they just serve a different purpose. They're specifically designed for assisting in CAD/CAM programs, where pixel-perfect accuracy and image clarity are key.
  • edited July 2007
    Sorry, I don't like ATI. Are quadros better for games?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2007
    Did you read Thrax's reply ?? they are CAD cards so not great gaming cards
    edited July 2007
    Some company probably makes a 7900-series GeForce card for AGP, but you're selling yourself short.

/me shrugs

Your loss.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2007
    I'm with thrax on this one, go for the x1950 pro.

Quadro fx cards are not for gaming. If you were to buy one that you could actually play games with and have a high framerate you'd be dropping like 2x more money. If you want to go with the geforce because you don't like the ati name fine with me, but don't expect as good of preformance.

and just wondering, why don't you like ati?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2007
    mebbe's he don't like canadians ????
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    Im sorry ati support's your dead platform more then everyone else.

The X1950 pro is the best AGP card out there.

....Are you a linux user or something ?, Because thats the ONLY reason not to get the ATI over the nvidia.
  • edited July 2007
    I didn't know what CAD/CAM programs were. I've got two PC experts in the family (live far away so couldn't ask them about this) and they keep saying GeForce are the best but i'm guessing they haven't got my motherboard.
    edited July 2007
    It doesn't matter what motherboard you have; the numbers don't lie. It's one thing to <i>say</i> that the GeForce is best for an AGP slot, but it's quite another to prove it which, no offense, they can't. The ATi 1950 Pro is vastly quicker. On some games, it's up to 40 frames per second faster, which can make the difference between running aniso/AA and not running those neat little features.

It's worth it. :)
  • edited July 2007
    So what price do I want to get the ATI for?
    edited July 2007
    Have a look.
  • edited July 2007
    huh? It says no items found that match the criteria.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Here's another link. You can get one for $141 after rebate.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Being a Huge Nvidia Guru / GeForce Buff, I have to agree with Thrax... If you want best bang for your buck the X1950 for AGP slot is much faster than any of the Nvidia AGP offerings.

Now that’s not to say the 8800GTS AGP card will be rolling out soon :) and will pounce on the X1950 but it still wont see light of day for a little while.

As for Quadro Series cards, they are over priced glorified versions of standard GeForce cards, and are aimed at OpenGL app's. Unless you flash the bio on one of them there gaming performance is crap. But why the hell you would buy a Quadro for 2 times the price to flash it to a card that is much cheaper makes one wonder....