Recovery console problems

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

I recently had trouble booting into Windows and got the following error message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

The message told me to insert the Windows XP Home CD and press 'r' for repair...

I found this article on Microsoft's support site that entails how I can remedy my problem: ''support.microsoft.(co-m;apparently, I can't post links)/kb/307545#appliesto''

The problem that I am facing is that when the Recovery Console starts, it does not prompt me to choose which installation to access, instead it simply displays the prompt C:\

The real problem occurs when I attempt to access C:\Windows, upon which I get an 'Access Denied' message. I don't have any password on the admin user (which is the only user) on my computer. If I type LOGON, the C:\ prompt simply reappears after a blank line.

Is there any way I can get around this or do I need to reinstall Windows :(?

Thank you for any help!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Looks like you're going to need to do a repair install. When it gets to the portion of the Windows installer when it says "Scanning for previous windows installations," hit "R" if it finds one.