HALP!

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I need to format my PC again to make seperate partitions on my HDD as a last resort to fix this goddamn bucket of bolts. I tried to backup my files and this is what happens...
Insert CD
Click Burn
Ejects CD
"please insert disk"
:confused:

I am SICK-TO-DEATH of this thing malfunctioning, and before anyone says it, I dont have the money for new components, unless someone wants to hire me for... 3 years of babysitting?
Any help appreciated, sorry for the rage but I'm sitting on a 60-70FPS capable machine and getting 2-7.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    There may be other options, but I think Partition Magic will allow you to create partitions on an already-formatted disk without destroying data.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I got the partition magic trial... selected what I wanted it to do and click go, it told me to sod off, this is an evaluation cope that won't actually do anything T.T
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Acronis Disk Director.
    edited July 2007
    ...wha?
    edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Acronis Disk Director.
    Harudath wrote:
    ...wha?

Thrax doesn't do verbs/complete sentences. I didn't know what it was, either, until I asked Google. Looks like it will do what you need.
    edited July 2007
    *glistening watery eyes* *is in awe* what is this almighty... "google" you speak of?

*clicks link* thanks Thrax :D
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, I know nothing about harddrives or partitioning... what does this mean?
    "Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 trial version has the following limitations:

Only partitions of the minimum size (1 cylinder ~ 7,8 MBytes) can be created (both in Windows and in rescue mode)
    Acronis OS Selector trial period expires after 15 days, and then starts with a 15 seconds delay
    "

It sounds like the maximum partition size I can make is 7.8MB and after 15 days it will stop working, but I could, and I hope I am wrong XD
    edited July 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    *glistening watery eyes* *is in awe* what is this almighty... "google" you speak of?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Google Inc (NASDAQ: GOOG and LSE: GGEA) is an American public corporation, specializing in Internet search and online advertising. The company is based in Mountain View, California, and has 12,238 full-time employees (as of March 31, 2007).<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[2]</sup> Google's mission statement is, "to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful."<sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[3]</sup> Google's corporate philosophy includes statements such as "Don't be evil", and "Work should be challenging and the challenge should be fun", illustrating a somewhat relaxed corporate culture.

If you need to know what Wikipedia is, I could try to find a Youtube clip explaining it.
    edited July 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    "Only partitions of the minimum size (1 cylinder ~ 7,8 MBytes) can be created (both in Windows and in rescue mode)
    Acronis OS Selector trial period expires after 15 days, and then starts with a 15 seconds delay"

Sounds like you either need to buy it (you've got extra blood plasma, right?), or find a freeware alternative, if one exists. You might consider buying an old used HD off someone for backing up your data; you might be able to get one for less than $50.
    edited July 2007
    So if I install that and it runs out, my PC goes bye bye?
    edited July 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    So if I install that and it runs out, my PC goes bye bye?

No. According to what you've posted, after the 15 days, it just starts with a 15 second delay. I see no bye-bye clause. The software doesn't control access to the partitions once they're created, and once the partitions are created, you don't need the software anymore.

There's no point in using the trial, though. What good would an 8mb partition do you?
    edited July 2007
    Absoloutely none... balls >.< Thanks for the info, I'll keep looking :)
    edited July 2007
    but I still have a problem... What about this faulty CD burner? >.<
    edited July 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    but I still have a problem... What about this faulty CD burner? >.<
    Could be software. Might start working after you format and install cd-burning software again. You could try another cd-burning program. CDBurnerXP is free.
    edited July 2007
    yeah, but it's not so much that the software's crap, it's that it can't see the actual disk :S
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    If you need to know what Wikipedia is, I could try to find a Youtube clip explaining it.

I asked wikipedia what wikipedia was

INFINITE LOOP OH SHI
    warp15.gif