Looking for advice on a build

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hello all,
I am a first time poster looking for some advice. I am about to order some parts from overclockers.

E6700 -

Asus striker extreme -

Coolermaster Stacker 832 -

Crucial Ballistix (2x1gig) PC6400 -

Asus silent square pro -

2 x Evga 8800GTX Ultra's KO silent -

Enermax Glaxy 1000w -

Artic silver mx-1 thermal compound -

With new keyboard, mouse and hard drive and lots of cables, fans etc. it comes to about 2100 pounds (3400 euros)

Can anyone see any potential problems with this build :confused:. This is the most i have ever spent on a machine so getting the right parts is a big worry of mine. could not post the direct links yet, sorry guys

Thanking you guys in advance :cool2:

John Kelly

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    holy crap - yes! you're paying wayyyyy too much. I just built your machine on newegg, it costs $US2679 - 1313 pounds (1943 euros) (newegg doesn't have mx-1 tho)

Don't forget to use the Icrontic code when you buy from newegg.

Also, what are you going to use this for? it's overclocked potential is way beyond any game I'm aware of...?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Nah. There are plenty of games that could crush a system like that. Even l'il ol' Sim City 4 can give an 8800 trouble with lots of trees and 16x AA/AF.
  • edited July 2007
    Man how i wish i lived in north America. Computer parts are so much cheaper there. I have to order my stuff from england. Prices are more expensive here than in the states. Overclockers.co.uk is one of the cheapest places to buy quality kit. I am also getting 2 x 500gb hard drives as well for that price plus vista OEM.

Aside from the price, are the components alright?
    edited July 2007
    If you're building a gaming computer, I very strongly recommend you do not buy Windows Vista. It shouldn't even be a consideration for someone looking to do serious gaming.

Your only real flaw is the heatsink, which isn't great. You'd be better off with a Thermalright Ultra-120 and a low-RPM 120mm fan; it'd be just as quiet, but cooler.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    What, no Cooler Master Gemini 2? That thing owns.
  • edited July 2007
    I'll also chime up on the Ultra 120 eXtreme, Ultra 120 or the Tuniq Tower 120 for top end cpu cooling. The Coolermaster Gemini 2 isn't in the same league as those three I mentioned for cooling, especially quiet cooling. As for gaming purposes and your OS, I also recommend sticking with XP too. Gaming framerates do take a hit in the majority of games with Vista. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Nvidia is still having driver problems with SLI in Vista too.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    holy crap - yes! you're paying wayyyyy too much. I just built your machine on newegg, it costs $US2679 - 1313 pounds (1943 euros) (newegg doesn't have mx-1 tho)

Don't forget to use the Icrontic code when you buy from newegg.

Also, what are you going to use this for? it's overclocked potential is way beyond any game I'm aware of...?

Icrontic code?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Listen to mud, he has been keeping up with the latest HSF testing. The current top rated are all heat pipe towers:
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    Scythe Ninja Plus B
    OCZ Vindicator
    Tuniq Tower

It looks like one hell of a gamer, but man that is expensive.
    Unless you really need the dual graphics cards right now I would skip them. Either the next gen will be even faster, or the price will come down. Either way you win in 6 months.
  • edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the comments guys. much appreciated. Yes it is very expensive to buy a computer parts here in Europe. I'm from Ireland by the way and buy the parts from the u.k. That figure of 2100 pounds does include 70 pounds posting fee and 300 pounds tax. The striker extreme does not have a lot of clearance around the "copper" heatsinks and as a result i am limited to what cooler i can buy. Would the Evga 680i be a better buy?

I plan to have a dual boot with vista and xp by the way guys.

john kelly
  • edited July 2007
    I don't think you should have clearance problems with a Striker board and either the U-120 or U-120 eXtreme as the bulk of them are a distance from the mobo except for the mount and the heatpipes themselves. With the Tuniq Tower 120, you just possibly run into a clearance problem with the embedded fan as it sticks down about 20-25 mm below the fins in the middle of the heatsink (central fan mounting position for it). But I was able to mount it on a P5W DH with no problems. I don't own a Striker myself so I can't give a "for sure" answer to you though.

Also, have you considered a newer board that uses the P35 chipset instead of the Striker? With the P35 boards you will get even better fsb overclocking and a positive upgrade path for the upcoming 45 nm dual and quad core procs coming out at the end of this year/early next year.
    edited July 2007
    Such as the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, which is a better overclocker, more future-proof, and will save you some $$? :D
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2007
    Which side of the border moonboy, if you are in the republic, it is some times cheaper to order from germany paying euros than from the UK.
  • edited July 2007
    Good point spike09 about the euro thing. i live south of the border. the reason i would buy from the u.k is the cost to send it back is cheaper and the tech support would be in English plus if i had to R.M.A, it would be a relatively painless experience. will look in to those p35 and gigabyte mobo's though and thank u for the tip.:cool2:

so if u guys had 2000+ pounds to spend, what main parts would you buy?

wow the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 is a cool looking board.supports ddr3 and 45nm cpu's. going to see if i can buy one of these babies. the reviews rock for this board:bigggrin: But does it support SLI 2x16? i really want to be able to add a second 8800gtx in full mode. Any tips on what memory would be good for mobo. Im looking for really good stuff as i have saved a load by not going for the striker extreme. so my choice is now evga 680i rev 1A, striker extreme or the p35 chipset?

I have also looked at the Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi Intel P35 board which does have 2x16 pci-express lanes. looks nice to...choices...choices :)

Good tip about the graphic cards also. 1 probably will be enough as i only have a 20" widescreen 168x1050.