Getting frustrated with slow laptop

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
This issue was first poted about in this thread. As a Recap: I have a Presario 2100 which I used to use for work. I reformated it when I got a new laptop for work, thinking that a fresh start would do it some good. After the reformat, it was slower, and I cannot figure out why. Eventualy, I determined that I must have simply been misremembering the previous speed of the system.

Since that time, this issue has gotten worse, and I am no longer convinced that the problem is in my head. This system is much slower than it ever was before the reformat. I was ablt to run F@H, Word, Excel, and trillian all at once with no slow down before. Now it can't even handle just having word open by itself without issues.

Here's what I've done:
checked to make surethat all of the drivers are fully updated.
Scandisked and Defraged the HD
run memtest (no errors)
run Hijackthis and had it analysed by the Icrontic SVT team.
run Adaware and Spybot (no entries found)
kept my virus scanner (Avast!) up to date the whole time.

Here's the thing:
It doesn't seem to be processing slowly; when a program is doing something that doesn't require my interaction it seems fine. What it's doing is responding slowly.

For example: Whenever I type anything, the characters don't appear on the screen for several seconds. If I click on a task on the task bar, to switch to it, it takes almost thirty second before the button even visually shows that it's been clicked, and then in takes almost an aditional minute actually complete the task-switch.

I'm almost at the point where I might try to reformat the HD and start all over again (again), but I'd like to abvoid that if possible, especially since I still don't know what's causeing the issue, so I don't know if a reformat at this point could even help.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Did you run a hard drive diagnostic?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Is ScanDisk not enough?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I'd run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic. Scandisk will tell you if there are sector errors, that's about it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    If you bring up task manager while you are experiencing the slowness is it registering it in either CPU or Memory load?
    edited July 2007
    I guess I have to figure out the brand of the HD, then. Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home tonight and report back.
    edited July 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    If you bring up task manager while you are experiencing the slowness is it registering it in either CPU or Memory load?

No.

edit: although, now that I think of it, I have gotten a 'low virtual memory message' twice while watching DVDs on the system. I just chalked those up to it being a fresh install, and that I haden't manually adjusted the swap-file yet.
  • edited July 2007
    CB, how about giving us the exact model number of this laptop, as it is printed on the laptop itself. HP has more than 300 listings for "Presario 2100" and it would help a lot to be able to see exactly what hardware is inside of your laptop.
    edited July 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    CB, how about giving us the exact model number of this laptop, as it is printed on the laptop itself. HP has more than 300 listings for "Presario 2100" and it would help a lot to be able to see exactly what hardware is inside of your laptop.

K, I'll also do that when I get home. I knew there was more than one 2100, but I didn't know there were that many...
  • edited July 2007
    Oh, some of the listings are for desktops and a bunch of other crap too, but there are quite a few laptop models in the 21xx series also. HP has some of the very worst support websites I've ever had the displeasure of using for their computer products. And it is a major reason why I won't buy myself a Compaq or HP laptop too. Dell's support site is much more comprehensive and I can actually go and look up support documents for the first laptop I ever bought back in 1998 on it. With HP/Compaq, it is strictly hit or miss even on newer laptops and desktops, I find.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    No.

edit: although, now that I think of it, I have gotten a 'low virtual memory message' twice while watching DVDs on the system. I just chalked those up to it being a fresh install, and that I haden't manually adjusted the swap-file yet.

You shouldn't need to mess with the swap file. Low virtual mem means you are running out of memory which means you don't have enough RAM in your laptop for whatever it is you are doing. I'm betting you have 256megs of ram, which is shared with your video card leaving pretty much nothing left to run anything else. Windows is using up about half of that at any given time. Which leaves very little to run more then one other program at once.
    edited July 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Oh, some of the listings are for desktops and a bunch of other crap too, but there are quite a few laptop models in the 21xx series also. HP has some of the very worst support websites I've ever had the displeasure of using for their computer products. And it is a major reason why I won't buy myself a Compaq or HP laptop too. Dell's support site is much more comprehensive and I can actually go and look up support documents for the first laptop I ever bought back in 1998 on it. With HP/Compaq, it is strictly hit or miss even on newer laptops and desktops, I find.

it's a 2190US
    kryyst wrote:
    You shouldn't need to mess with the swap file. Low virtual mem means you are running out of memory which means you don't have enough RAM in your laptop for whatever it is you are doing. I'm betting you have 256megs of ram, which is shared with your video card leaving pretty much nothing left to run anything else. Windows is using up about half of that at any given time. Which leaves very little to run more then one other program at once.

It ran all this stuff and more just fine before the reformat.
    edited July 2007
    Is there a way to find out what HD is in this thing without opening it?

Edit: Nvmnd, found it in the Device manager...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    It's probably a SimpleTech drive, but you may try SiSoft Sandra or BelArc Advisor to ID the thing.
    edited July 2007
    I have a Toshiba mk4021gas... I searched the website for a diagnostic tool and found none. I'll keep looking...
    edited July 2007
    If it's an old Toshiba, it might even be a Toshiba-branded drive.
    edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    If it's an old Toshiba, it might even be a Toshiba-branded drive.

Erm.. The computer is a Presario 2190US, as I just saids a minute ago. The HD is a Toshiba, I just found it in the Device Manager.

I also found this thread from almost two years ago, and it seems I'm not alone in my inability to find a Toshiba Drive diagnostic program... :/
    edited July 2007
    I need to go to sleep, yes. Good night. :o

/me trundles off
    edited July 2007
    Sorry if I was keeping you up :p

I found a generic drive fitness test program from Hitachi, so now I need to go find a way to burn this iso...
    edited July 2007
    You're killin' me, CB.

http://icrontic.com/articles/advanced_data_recovery

:mad2:

/me shakes a fist and finally goes to bed
    edited July 2007
    I didn't ask you to stay up... I'm currently burning this diagnostic program to a disk, so I can run it in the laptop. I didn't need to be linked anywhere right now...
    edited July 2007
    The IBM-Hitachi Drive Fitness Test detected no errors.
  • edited July 2007
    OK, so it passed DFT. Now, if you would, try running ATTO or Sandra's drive benchmark on the drive. That will let us see if there is some kind of problem with I/O with the drive and mobo components.

Also, are you formated to NTFS or FAT32?

Also, here is a link to the WinXP drivers page for your laptop if you don't already have it. I'm not positive that the problem isn't software related too somehow.