Free space?

ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
How much drive space should I keep free on a 80 GB HD - before I start encountering problems.
I have 7 GB free now, and I have a program that will defragment at 4-5% free space.
This computer is loaded with audio files and really only serves as a stereo - so I am not to concerned about performance other than the want that it should work!
The only other consideration is in the fall, when I have set up my folding farm - this baby' ll be on board.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I had a 100GB drive with like half a gig left of space... couldn't defrag it for anything but it was only for random junk files anyways.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    For performance purposes one should try to leave 10% of any drive open for temp files and swap file.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    For performance purposes one should try to leave 10% of any drive open for temp files and swap file.

I have noticed a slight performance drop - and this is also what MS defragmenter suggests.

On a side note - what, if any degradation happens to an audio file when copied? - Wikepedia says zilch - but I do have a few rare Flac files I would like to keep in the optimum shape.
    edited July 2007
    RWB wrote:
    I had a 100GB drive with like half a gig left of space... couldn't defrag it for anything but it was only for random junk files anyways.

Did it fragment into oblivion:D

Seriously - everything else worked fine?
    Considering.
    edited July 2007
    Baring malfunction, a digital signal or stored information will always copy perfectly, unlike analog signals and stored info, which never copies perfectly.

This is one reason why the music industry cares so much about piracy now, when they didn't in the days of cassette tapes. A cassette tape is magnetic and analog, and a copy is never as good as the original, so making a copy of a tape for a friend might encourage them to buy the original to have a good copy. CDs and other digital files, on the other hand always copy perfectly, meaning there is no practical rweason to buy the original after you have the copy.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    what.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    Did it fragment into oblivion:D

Seriously - everything else worked fine?
    Considering.

worked fine, I never did any performance tests or anything, like I said it was junk from a format a while back...
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    A rule of thumb is to keep at least 30% free at all times. (As the last 30% of the plater preforms piss slow)
    edited July 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    A rule of thumb is to keep at least 30% free at all times. (As the last 30% of the plater preforms piss slow)

I have heard this somewhere before - that would make my ratio way off:bigggrin:
    edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    what.

What?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Baring malfunction, a digital signal or stored information will always copy perfectly, unlike analog signals and stored info, which never copies perfectly.

This is one reason why the music industry cares so much about piracy now, when they didn't in the days of cassette tapes. A cassette tape is magnetic and analog, and a copy is never as good as the original, so making a copy of a tape for a friend might encourage them to buy the original to have a good copy. CDs and other digital files, on the other hand always copy perfectly, meaning there is no practical rweason to buy the original after you have the copy.

I'm not making the logical leap; how does this relate to the OP? It looks like it was intended for a DRM thread. ;D
    edited July 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    On a side note - what, if any degradation happens to an audio file when copied? - Wikepedia says zilch - but I do have a few rare Flac files I would like to keep in the optimum shape.

Thelemech asked this question in an aside, and I went overboard on my answer. I should stop posting and talking to students at the same time...
    edited July 2007
    :hiding:
    that probably was a double barrelled side question!

;D