Overtaking another hard drive

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hey everyone,

I posted a while back with a problem concerning my system32 file for my dell laptop. I'm glad to report that everything is working well with the new hard drive (and I saved quite a bit of money). Now I've got a new one for you all. I'm actually having a problem with the home computer. It will get to the Windows XP screen (with the blue progress bar) but about a second later it turns into a black screen with a blinking line (about the length of an underscore) in the top left corner. Could this be the Windows install? Any ideas on how to fix this?

In terms of the title, my parents can't find the re install CD and it's about time for a new computer. So if all else fails I was just going to get an external enclosure and retrieve the important data on the old HDD and back it up using my laptop. The only problem is that the majority of the data is probably in a "(Person's) Documents" folder. I encountered the same problem with my laptop and was able to find instructions on how to "overtake" the permission and rights to the My Docs folders. Unfortunately I can't find those instructions. Does anyone know how to do this? My laptop runs Windows XP SP2 and I believe the desktop did as well (I remember that the version of XP played a big role in taking over the rights).

Thanks,
Justin

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Reading the entirety of this thread should set ya straight.