Need help in choosing the right cable!

edited July 2007 in Internet & Media
hi,

I have a set of Yamaha TSS 15 speakers -It has "Digital in" for both Optical and Coaxial.

I Want to connect the Yamaha amp to the Digital out on the soundcard. Only problem is... I don't know what cable I need to buy! It needs to go from the SPDIF coaxial port on the sound card to my "digital in" on my amp.

Is there a Photo of what one of these cables look like?

I have connected the following:

* Optical S/PDIF connector.
* All Digital cables from speakers.

I think this is why my rear speakers aren't working in games properly and the realtek control panel. DTS works in DVD movies since its using the optical cable.

what cable goes from the circled ports?

9f2f6d66.jpg

fc0b0b2b.jpg

Comments

• MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited July 2007
    Actually any RCA cable will work. I would get a good quality one that is labled as a video cable. That's what I use with no problems.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    while a plain jane rca cable may work, I would look for one that says digital use on the packaging. The digital audio feeds over the cable operate at a higher frequency range than the analoge signals do. So that means the cables have to be made to handle the higher frequencies. Though I've never been able to tell why one copper cable was any better than the other:confused:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    1) If you have the optical cable hooked up, it's the same as the digital coax. Hooking that up to will most likely not solve your problems.

2) The impedance of the digital coax cable is matched to the inputs/outputs, reducing (and hopefully removing) transmission-line effects. Whether or not this actually matters is debatable.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    If you get full 5.1 w/ dolby signals, but not in games, it is because your sound card cannot encapsulate EAX signals in a DTS stream to provide 5.1 via a receiver.
  • edited July 2007
    Thanks guys :) Wasnt sure if I needed a different cable - the package did come with red and white analogue leads.